I have to pick one????

iVillage Member
I have to pick one????
Fri, 06-20-2008 - 12:23am
Do you have a favorite flower or plant in your garden?? If so, what is it and why?

Jen

All dressed up and no where to go......

Redecorating? www.fauxfinials.com

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2008 - 12:25am
If I could only pick one it would have to be my Plumbago. A beautiful blue flowering bush that sits in front of my porch. It blooms from Early April to Late November (believe it or not).

Jen

All dressed up and no where to go......

Redecorating? www.fauxfinials.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2008 - 12:49am

NO way I could pick JUST one. Depends on what I just found to try to grow.
I DO like the mexican oregano, and do try to keep that going inside over the winter. it looks like a succulent. I love to try new herbs I havent seen or heard of before....am raising a jiffy pot 12 pack of lime basil. My sister got 2 and already killed hers so have decided I CANNOT give her a baby plant again!!

But I ALSO am a tomato addict(guess that might be the right term and after potting the rest of those twerps tonite!) Other than some flowers under a bush, everything is in pots. I can't even tell you how many varieties i have this year. I know I have a tumbler tomato(actually found a golden Tom tumbler so I think I have 3 tumbler plants). Also discovered a pink grape tomato plant so had to get pack of that. I know there are at least 4 different full size(but mostly not real big) tomato plants and a whole slew of grape and cherry ones. Also had to get some ground cherry plants but for some reason I can only find one, and there should be 2. There are some pepper plants but altogether I think as of tonite I have about 55 pots in my driveway. Bottom line with tomato plants, I CAN usually resist the very large size tomatoes like beefsteak, etc. But when I find new smaller varieties it is so tempting to try new ones!!

Auntydoxzz

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2008 - 2:03pm

I couldn't pick one flower.

My favorite plants are Oak Tree's. But then I can't decide which type of Oak Tree. The Valley oaks that surround my house? The Blue Oaks across the meadow. The old oaks in the South covered with Spanish Moss?

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2008 - 2:16pm

Good question.

JHarvest.jpg picture by 3coolmom

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2008 - 8:18pm
I can't pick one- I love so many! I guess my favorite in my garden beds currently would be my phlox - they're so easy and so colorful, and makes beautiful cut flowers.
Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge TickerBravado Bras at Nurtured Family
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2008 - 8:20pm
I had to look this one up as I had never heard of it before - can you take a picture of yours? It looks very pretty from the photos I found online. Are you in a warm climate? It sounds like something that would have to be grown in a warm area.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2008 - 7:43pm

A couple web sites you might want to check out.

1)

http://www.jungseed.com/detailedSearch5.asp

this should pull up phlox and 2)

.http://www.burpee.com/

I bet you can find pictures of almost anything there. Burpee site is a little dangerous cuz its tempting to find things you really really need(yeah right!!).

Auntydoxzz

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-27-2008 - 12:04am

I will take pics and post them...just for you! :)

I am in Florida, so yeah...its pretty warm here! lol I believe it will grow in zones 5-9, but I am not 100% sure..... I will check into that for you!

It IS beautiful! They are technically a "bush" but I let mine go "crazy" (I'm not into the formal look) so its this wild crazy bush with amazing flowers! At dusk its the best...the blue flowers look almost periwinkle when the light hits it!!! LOVE IT!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2008 - 7:42pm
I think you were the one to suggest Burpee as a seed catelogue a while ago - I got one and there is a TON of stuff I want to get from there - but I must admit I've been a very bad gardener this year - I hope next year when I'm not prego is better.
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2008 - 7:44pm

Yay - I love photos! I will be interested to see what yours looks like - some things just look better kept naturally than others. My Dad super trims back their azelias after they bloom and although it needs it because it get so wild - afterwards it looks so barrian. I mean he is doing good by the plant - but it just seems to take away from some of the grandure it had preivously.

DH picked the name for our boy actually. I'm still not sold on the Avery part - but I do like Grant a lot.

Pages