Zone 5 gardener moving to Zone 8-Help?

iVillage Member
Zone 5 gardener moving to Zone 8-Help?
Mon, 06-30-2008 - 8:02pm

I've been trying to find information on fruit and vegetable gardening in zone 8. Specifially Raleigh, NC.

I live in the cold Midwest, and don't really know all that the milder climate entails.

What I really want to know is: can I grow some veggies year round? Maybe in a green house or cold frame? Or maybe a three seasons porch?

Also, do fruit trees, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, etc....Do they do well?

I imagine that the milder climate will mean an extended harvest from the veggie garden, but it could be wishful thinking.

Can someone who knows please tell me what the zone 8 climate means for vegetable gardening?

Thanks so much!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2008 - 6:01pm

Hello and Welcome!

I'm not from that area, or zone, but I do believe you are correct in assuming being in the warmer climate means a longer growing season. Esepcially if you can plant your veggies in an area that can be a more controlled environment. If you grow them in a 3 season porch you should have no problem keeping them all year round. It does get cool there I know that, but never as cold as here in the midwest.

I can't tell you for certain- but it seems to be we have

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-16-2008 - 2:16pm

You asked this question quite awhile ago, so I hope you are still interested. Moving from zone 5 to zone 8 was a dream come true for me! Mind you, I live in California, but the zone move was equivalent.

Be ready to be picking tomatoes still in early November... but I will warn you that I find a lot of vegetables have to be planted twice (summer squash peters out or gets fungus as well as others) here in the warmer climes, and so it is sort of a double season for me! You can possibly grow "winter veggies" but I think you will have to experiment. Leafy veggies do well here in the early and late seasons.

Myself, I really don't garden from late November to February. I can't tell you whether a cold frame is feasible. My parents live 150 miles from Raleigh, and they have dark, dreary winters, as far as I can tell.

I hope you enjoy the move. I had a glorious introduction to a warmer climate. Suddenly I could grow things I didn't know existed!

Recreating Myself