Trapped by the smoke

iVillage Member
Trapped by the smoke
Wed, 07-02-2008 - 4:30pm

I'm going into week two now of smoke from the fires in Cali. being so bad they are telling us to stay indoors and wear masks to walk to and from

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-03-2008 - 7:27pm

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-03-2008 - 7:57pm

Hope that those fires die down FAST and don't start back up.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2008 - 10:37pm

So sorry to hear about the smoke there. I am located in N E NC, we have two fires going, one is over 4,000 acres

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2008 - 9:13pm
Wow! That is awful! I hope that they get put out soon so that you can start getting your life back to normal again! That would be so hard!
Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge TickerBravado Bras at Nurtured Family
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-12-2008 - 6:32pm

When I was five there were fires that took over 350 neighborhood homes...it was quite scary. The only reason our house was saved because the sprinklers went off on a timer just as the fires came to our area. Ironic. Afterwards, the community really came together and the place was a really awesome place to live. I hope it has become that way for you now. Best of luck.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2008 - 2:38am

Call your local Department of Agriculture and ask if there is a local beekeeping association. Our local association gives a class for beginners each year to teach the basics. You can purchase active hives, buy queens, etc. We actually bought the boxes and my SO went with a beekeeper when hives were swarming and collected them to put in our boxes. One hive did so well we purchased a queen and divided the hive. There are certain ways to introduce a new queen to a new hive so the other bees won't kill her.

We feed them sugar water and give them pollen packets

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2008 - 10:04am

Wow, I find all of this so fascinating. I can't wait to see whay my mom will say to this idea. She is a science major and we had the strangest pets and did experiments all the time with her. She would love this. There was a honey supplier in Palatka. They just sat the jars of honey outside by the road in jars and you put the money in a box (honesty policy I guess). It was always something we stopped for. I know she would love to do this. :) Can I have permission to ask you more questions from time to time?

Thanks so much for your help.

Krissi

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2008 - 8:21pm

Ask away though my SO knows way more than me.

One recommendation is to go with white bees suits and white masks because bees natural predator-bears- are dark so they are more aggressive to dark colors.

Our local beekeepers association has a spinner to spin honey out of the combs if people want to. We use ours mostly for pollination, though we do sometimes steal a bit of honey, but not on a year like this.