What things do you start from seed?

iVillage Member
What things do you start from seed?
Wed, 07-16-2008 - 9:19am
What flowers/veggies (if any) do you start directly from seeds, or is it just too much work to do it that way? Also, I really like perennials/bulbs, for the convenience factor - are there any that I can plant at this point in the season (I live in New England - zone 6) that would still do okay?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
signature
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2008 - 7:19pm

Hi Jodi and Welcome!

You can start just about anything from seed - and it's not too hard. Its just as easy as bulbs - IMO - you just need the counter space to do it. The best way is to start them in the peat pods you can get just about any where, sow the seeds in and let them grow. Then when they get big enough you can either put them into pots and continue to grow them or put them directly in the ground. Just matters what you decide you want to do - indoors or outdoors.

As for bulbs about the only thing you can plant at this time of the year would be your spring blooming bulbs - which you should wait until fall to do. You can divide any exisitng spring blooming bulbs you might have and start planning. Most other things would have needed to be planted by now...

HTH!

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge TickerBravado Bras at Nurtured Family
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 2:54pm

Euphorbia is a wonderful, trouble free perennial

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-31-2008 - 10:13am
Thanks for the great tip. I'm always looking for easy low maintenance perennials or bulbs that look nice! I think I'll give the Euphorbia a try. Any good websites you recommend that sell it?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
signature