Are seeds from veggies sterile?

iVillage Member
Are seeds from veggies sterile?
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 3:30pm

Hi,

I have been researching this and haven't found an answer--hoping someone here could tell me.

If I save seeds from vegetables I buy in the supermarket (US), can I grow them next year into plants that will produce new vegetables?

I heard the supermarket vegetables and fruits are engineered to be sterile, but I'm unable to verify that. Supposedly the seeds will grow plants but no veg/fruits.

I'm hoping to grow cantaloupe, pepper, and tomato.

Thanks.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 8:17am

PS--If I grow a tree from a plum pit and it is sterile, will it flower?

The purpose of me growing this is to populate a weedy area with free trees, and I'd actually prefer non-flowering, non-fruit-bearing trees for this particular purpose. I've already started growing some other types of trees but am looking to start other varieties too.

My intention in growing the vegetable seeds is to produce vegetables.

Questions are for Zone 4.

Edited 7/29/2008 8:24 am ET by purpleaa
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-31-2008 - 10:09am
bttt
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-31-2008 - 7:16pm

I would give them a try, however I would probably just buy some seeds next year for the veggies. Seeds are pretty cheap and if you plan to do them to grow them to eat them you might as well invest the $5/8 on the seeds and reap the rewards.

As for the plumb - if you don't care - and it works might as well try it out. :) I've never tried that before myself. I know some people have but I have never heard how sucessful they were at it.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge TickerBravado Bras at Nurtured Family
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-13-2008 - 4:26pm

kthxs

I have trouble finding seeds for the veg and fruits I want to grow, so I am saving them from the produce I'm eating this year. Hopefully I won't go to the trouble of growing plants that can't produce fruit.