Transplanting Silver Maple

iVillage Member
Transplanting Silver Maple
Tue, 09-02-2008 - 12:43pm
I have a 5 ft. silver maple that has to be moved. I can't stand the thought of discarding it, so I have found a new home for it on our local Freecycle board. I want it moved this autumn and I live in the N.VA region. I certainly don't want to do anything to injure or kill it. Can anyone tell me the step-by-step procedure to transplanting this tree? Thanks!
"A smile is a light in the window which shows the heart is at home." ~Martin Buxbaum "A closed mind lets nothing in. . .or, for that matter, nothing out. ~SB
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2008 - 10:52am

Yay that you found a new home for the maple.

Do wait until the tree is dormant (ie lost it's leaves) this fall. I would dig about 24 inches (I like to try and include as much of the rootball as possible when transplanting).

Make sure that the new trees home is ready - the hole should be twice as wide as the root ball. the tree should be planted at the same depth, but do loosen the soil underneath where the root ball will be. I like to add some compost to the soil anytime I plant a tree.

If the area you are in is windy, I would stake the tree fo rthe first year - use a wide soft strap and not too tight.

HTH!