ROLLCALL - Lurkers you too!

iVillage Member
ROLLCALL - Lurkers you too!
Wed, 09-03-2008 - 6:44pm

Come one and come all. Stop in and say "Hi!" and tell us a little about what you like to grow and your family too.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2008 - 6:53pm

Hi! I am Carol and I am the new CL. I am so EXCITED! I LOVE to garden, I got the gardening bug from my dad and I am passing it on to my older son, Jacob. I live in SE Wyoming with my DH, Brian and 2 DS, (Jacob and Phillip) and have for 2 years now. Before that I lived in Florida, so two VERY different growing climates.

We are harvesting eggplants, tomatoes, peppers and, summer squash and some winter squash right now. We still have pumpkins growing and green tomatoes on the vine, cucumbers are not in yet (we got a late start). We just planted some radishes, carrots and lettuce since the temps have been cooler for a few days. I also have lots of chives, mint, basil, oregano and Lemon Balm in addition to some flowers.

One of my biggest Challenges here in WY is getting trees growing.

in addition to growing some of our own veggies we have a small flock of laying hens and 2 pigs (the pigs will be leaving the end of September).

I am really looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2008 - 8:53pm

Hi, I'm Joan from central Illinois.

JHarvest.jpg picture by 3coolmom

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2008 - 10:21pm

Joan -

I enjoy roses so much. I have not tried growing them since I moved, but in Florida they needed a lot of attention. They were susceptible to black spot and a number of creepy crawlies etc. and I just did not do well with them.

Tomatoes are one of my favorite things to grow. Even when I have had limited space (in a rental etc) I always at least had an Earthbox with tomatoes growing.

I am so happy to meet you.

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2008 - 8:46pm

Hi!

Jessica

Karate Mom to Utah (8) and Ciera (almost 6 and just off to kindergarten!)

Southern Living

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2008 - 11:37pm

Welcome Jessica! Thanks for stopping in today.

Sounds like you had a real successful veggie garden this year. We have eggplants and they are VERY pretty when they bloom. How did you prepare them? My DH likes eggplant parmesan, but I prefer it grilled with olive oil, salt and herbs. I also find that I like the taste better if I do a salt water soak - this helps remove any biterness.

ANother good option for the zucchini is Chocolate zucchini muffins. They taste like a treat, but they are good for you!

DO you know what kind of pickles you want to make? I made bread & butter pickles last year and if I ever get enough pickles at the same time I will again.

Spaghetti squash is easy. My favorite wat to fix it is slice in half and bake. When done score it with a fork so the pulp looks like Spaghetti and toss with garlic and butter. I have aslo fixed with with pasta sauce.

Butternut squash I have used to make a butternut squash soup and also just baked and fixed with brown sugar and butter. I have also heard of people using butternut squash as pie filling instead of pumpkin.

I love okra, but We lost all our okra in a hail storm so I do not have any this year.

Also it might not to late to plant carrots beets and radishes in your area. They like the cooler weather and they both grow pretty quick. (will even tolerate a frost) Of course you may or may not beable to find seeds right now. I found some seeds at a feed store a couple weeks ago and they were VERY cheap and they still sprouted right away. IF you do not plant now these are things you can start planting as soon as the ground can be worked in the spring and planted a week or 2 apart to get a continual harvest.

Photobucket

Gardening Tips and Friends