HIBUSCIS

iVillage Member
HIBUSCIS
Tue, 09-23-2008 - 11:13pm

My son brought me a

iVillage Member
In reply to: redrose46
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 12:13am

Do you know if it is a tropical hibiscus or a hardy hibiscus? The hardy variety will lose it's leaves (like a deciduous tree in the fall) and will come back in the spring - in general they are hardy up through zone 5 or 4.

"If your hibiscus has glossy deep green leaves, 3-6" flowers of red, pink, orange, yellow, double or single flowers, it is probably a TROPICAL hibiscus. While many common garden varieties have the 3-6" blooms, many of the hybrid varieties of tropical hibiscus can have blooms around 10" in diameter under ideal conditions.

Another way to check is if the flowers are salmon, peach, orange, or yellow, or double flowered, then you probably have a TROPICAL hibiscus. Hardy hibiscus do not come in these colors or in doubles! Many tropical hibiscus flowers have more than one color in a bloom either in bands or as spots.

If your hibiscus has dull medium green heart shaped leaves, dinner plate sized white, pink or red flowers with HUGE, bomb shaped buds (2-4" in length!), it is a perennial, hardy hibiscus.

Hardy hibiscus need very little care over the winter, they are root hardy to about zone 5 with no protection. They die to the ground each year.

If you have a tropical hibiscus, remember it is a TROPICAL. They will not tolerate more than a night or two of light freezes. Even one hard freeze (below 25) could kill the plant. These plants are native to sunny, warm and usually humid tropical places.

They detest cold, rainy weather and cold, wet soil. They will not reliably survive outdoors north of zone 9. In all other areas, it may be a good idea to bring them indoors BEFORE temps regularly drop below 40-45 F at night to avoid any damage."
http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

The yellow leaves could be from the abrubt environment change (outside to in), not enough water, or spider mites.

Photobucket

Gardening Tips and Friends

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 7:55am

My hibuscis sounds like the hardy type because when the flowers bloom they are large all red flowers.Is there any tip that i can use to make the plant flower indoors?The hibuscis was beautiful this summer sitting on my deck out back but its to chilly at night now to keep the plant outside.I checked my plant for spider mites but there is none and the light and watering should be suitable.Any suggestions?

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 11:06am

If it is a hardy hibiscus then it will survive the cool nights (in zone 5 and above).

I had both tropical hibiscus and hardy hibiscus when I lived in FL (in zone 9), so the tropical even were fine except for a fw cold nights when I had to protect them each year. Even so, my hardy hibiscus still lost its leaves over the "winter". I live in WYoming now (zone 4b or 5a depending on who you ask) and I had a hardy hibiscus last year survive the winter in the ground. So it is just part of the life cycle of the plant to go into a dormant state for a few months and the plant needs that time. KWIM?

A couple links about hardy hibiscus care:

http://www.allthingshibiscus.com/hardyhibiscus.php (this one also specifically discusses yellow leaves on one page)

http://www.dailypress.com/features/home/garden/dp-61210sy0jan31,0,1989124.story

Photobucket

Gardening Tips and Friends