Potatoes in the snow

iVillage Member
Potatoes in the snow
Mon, 12-08-2008 - 12:48pm

A buddy told me of his grandpa peeling potatoes in Nov/Dec and tossing them in the garden ontop of the snow.

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-13-2008 - 12:43am

I have never heard of this! I am really curious if this works for you.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Follow me to Western & Mountain Friends iVillage Board

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 7:53pm

Given my yard, I am betting that either those twerpie little chippies, squirrels and dang nab bunnies would eat them all before they could sprout!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 11:51am
I can't recall, have we discussed any organic remedies for the chippies and bunnies?

Powered by CGISpy.com

Follow me to Western & Mountain Friends iVillage Board

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 8:12pm

I dont think so.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-22-2008 - 3:22pm

This last year I used Nature's Defense Organic Formula to keep the bunnies away and it worked wonders. We still had bunnies in the yard, but they left the garden areas alone. I did have one raised bed that I used as a "control" and they did get in there and chomp away. It does say it also works against chipmunks, deer etc etc (about 20 animals). I also send some to my parents and they said it helped tremendously with the squirrel problem they have.

Some of the ingredients are Garlic, cinnamon, cloves, thyme, White pepper, rosemary, and peppermint.

that is one thing you might consider, but there are a number of organic products on the market. You can also try mixing your own with water cayenne pepper etc. Somewhere i have a recipe for a liquid repellent using pepper etc. I can look that up when my head is clearer (I have a cold right now. UGH!).