Gardening 101 assignment

iVillage Member
Gardening 101 assignment
Sun, 12-28-2008 - 5:12pm
I just finished Lesson 1 of Gardening 101. My assignment is to post an introduction. I'm not sure this is the right place to do it but this is where I'm doing it. I live in Middle Tennessee. My soil is clay. It's very dense. My yard is almost complete shade. I do not know what my PH is so that is my plan of action. i'm going to obtain a PH kit and test my soil. I'm far from a beginning gardener, but I like this online, ilearn class. I have an active compost pile. I plant mostly shade plants. I have "alot" of monkey grass. It's extremely hardy and uses little water. I have planted it in clumps instead of spreading out, it just keeps getting taller, like almost two feet, but not spreading out. The purple flowers smell delicious. It's a basic, hardy plant, but the clump design changes it into a unique looking grass bush. LOL. I also have several rosemary bushes, boxwood bonsai and love planting banana. Ta Ta for now.
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-29-2008 - 1:01pm

Hi and Welcome to the board!!!!!

Glad you are enjoying the online class. My guess since you have clay soil is that the sol will be somewhat alkaline. It will be interesting to see what results you get. It will be I live in WY and where we have the clay soil it is alkaline. One of my pastures has neutral soil and the soil is more loamy there. Do make sure when you do the test that you dig down a few inches to test (where plant roots would be) and not just test he top layer of soil.

I am not familiar with monkey grass, but I LOVE Rosemary. It is not winter hardy where I live in Wyoming (zone 4) so I am trying some in the house over the winter. One is not looking good, but the other 2 are hanging in there.

Have you gotten any bananas yet? I had bananas in my yard in FL and those bananas were so good.

Do you have a structure for your compost pile? Or is it just a pile? My pile is made from repurposed wood pallets.

I look forward to seeing you on the board.