BBRRRRRR!!!!!

iVillage Member
BBRRRRRR!!!!!
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 8:02pm

Question I am hoping someone can answer. Last fall I did pull some of my pots of plants onto the back porch. In normal winter weather it can get close to 30-32 degrees out there. So far my carrots are still going and the swiss chard is sorta still going(i didnt water it as fast as I should have, but its not all totally toppled over. The problem is we are now getting to days where the highest temp is still below zero. I looked last nite and it could be below 30 degrees. I am tempted to pull them into the kitchen, maybe by the door to basement. its not real warm, and since I have only a half basement/crawl space downt here, the temp by floor is close to 60 degrees.

iVillage Member
In reply to: auntydoxzz
Thu, 01-15-2009 - 8:23pm

Not sure how cold it got last nite, but it is supposed to get down to 29 below(NOT wind chill actual temp). Anyway last nite I stopped at house before I went to the Y, peeked on the back porch at the thermometer and my poor carrots did not look good.

iVillage Member
In reply to: auntydoxzz
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 3:14pm

I am sorry I did not respond sooner. With the weather etc I have been without internet access ALL week. That makes for a long week for this stay at home mom!

I think that you did the right thing bringing the plants in. Worst case they will die, but they liekly would anyway with the cold temps on the porch.

It seems like it has been extra cold this winter. Makes it hard to believe at the "global warming" stories.