Tomatoes?

iVillage Member
Tomatoes?
Sun, 03-15-2009 - 10:47am
Do ya'll start tomatoes from seed, or buy plants already started? If so, where do you buy from? I seem to have difficulty growing things from seed indoors, and trying to start tomatoes from seed outside (i live in New England) is a joke because our growing season is already pretty short...
signature
signature
iVillage Member
In reply to: jochro
Sun, 03-15-2009 - 2:12pm
We normally buy tomatoes as plants from Lowes.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-16-2009 - 1:05pm

I usually do both. I start some from seed. I also also usually buy some plants from the local nursery.

I live in Wyoming so our growing season is short as well. We usually plant around the end of May.

When you say you have not had luck starting them indoors, how do you do it? I use one of the jiffy (or another cheaper brand) greenhouse kits. What happens do they not germinate or do you have a problem with damping off? How early do you start them? Maybe we can trouble shoot some things for you.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Follow me to Western & Mountain Friends iVillage Board

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-16-2009 - 4:00pm
Damping off sounds about like what happens. They germinate, but then stay pretty thin and then eventually die. I've started them at a couple of different times with no success - March seems to ring a bell, but maybe that was too early? What is the difference using a greenhouse kit, versus just planting in a pot and putting near a window?
signature
signature
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-16-2009 - 7:44pm

I am not sure what damping off means?

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-17-2009 - 2:48am

Whe is your outside planting date? Personally I think 4-6 weeks BEFORE putting in the ground is about right for most seed starting.

Here we plant between may 15 and the first week in June. Last year I planted the end of May (and then replanted due to a HUGE hail storm the week of June 17).I usually start seeds about Mid April.

The green house kits help from a moisture standpoint. In some places this is more important than others. IT is very dry where I live (I think the humidity was 5% today), so otherwise with seed starts it is hard to keep things adequately moist. When I lived in FL this was less of an issue for me. That may or may not be an issue for you. Once a number of sprouts are seen, you prop the lid open a bit.

I have made my own "greenhouses" using a seed starting mix in a plastic strawberry container. In fact, this weekend we planted lettuce in on and spinach in another. I am hoping with the lettuce to harvest some leaves before planting outside.