Growing Tomatoes in containers

iVillage Member
Growing Tomatoes in containers
Tue, 03-31-2009 - 3:38pm
I am looking for tips on growing tomatoes in containers. I start with seedlings and have not had much success. I want to try again and have seedlings coming. Any advice? I may have used too small a pot before. I want to grow them in containers as we rent and I would like to able to take them with me if we move.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-31-2009 - 7:55pm

I have gotten seedlings from nurseries and garden centers and potted them with good results, aside from the chippie twerps last summer!(They are extremely fond of golden tomatoes but if those are scarce will go for the red ones too.)

I do use tomato food plant stakes or other veggie fertilizers but not until you pot them.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-01-2009 - 9:51pm

I have grown tomatoes in containers with good success. In fact even though I have a large garden area and could have more, I still always have a few tomatoes in various containers.

I use Earthboxes, some homemade earthbox style containers (made from rubbermade containers and also some standard pots from Walmart. I find that I have the best luck with with earthbox (and earthbox style) and pots that are the "self watering" (the kind you water from the bottom).

It is important to use a large enough container and that they are getting enough sun.

Tomatoes do like a lot of water, but they do not like to wet feet. IMO that is why they do well in the water from the bottom type containers.

HTH!