Out of control garden.

iVillage Member
Out of control garden.
Wed, 07-22-2009 - 6:16am

We have a small garden that's been growing out of control all summer due to some health issues. While it's likely to make me sick as a dog, I need to get out there and get the thing cleaned up. The neighbors (we live in an appartment in a well to do area) are giving us some pretty dirty looks. Normaly I wouldn't care but it was actually in our contract for the appartment that we keep up this garden..

So, two questions!

First, is there anything I can do or use to make it easier to get rid of the copious weeds? We're living in Switzerland so unless you're in the same general region please don't bother with brand names of weed killers but some home remedies to keep them from coming back quite so quick would be helpful. The slugs killed all the flowers that were out there but not the weeds!

Second, we have two rose bushes out there. What the heck should I do with them? They're rather wild at the moment. Can I just chop them down to a more managable size (they're under our bedroom window) or do they need a more tactful approach rather than just a pair of good garden shears? They're just growing rather tall and at least one of them has a branch or stalk or whatever you want to call it that's threatening to fall over and block the walkway.

I'm new to the whole gardening thing. I'm alergic to every plant that grows. My husband had promised to do the gardening (or I wouldn't have agreed to getting this particular appartment) but that's obviously not happening. Some general tips to just make the entire thing easier/quicker to keep up with would be helpful.

Thanks.
Turdle

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-22-2009 - 7:48pm
Any possibility of hiring or bribing someone to do the work for you?
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-23-2009 - 1:42am

Not really. We're pretty short on cash right now (I've been looking for work for over a year) so can't afford to pay anyone and there aren't many kids around who are old enough that I would let do much in my garden.. They're all elementry school age. I keep saying that when we have some money I want to get someone to come in and do it for me but I'm finaly facing the fact that that isn't going to happen any time soon. My husband isn't going to hold up his end of the deal and keep up the garden any time soon either..

Normaly I really wouldn't bother except that it was part of our contract to keep the garden looking nice. We can't afford to move so that garden needs to get into shape. I can only do about half hour or 45 minutes at a time before I really need to stop so it's going to be slow going but SOMEBODY has to do SOMETHING.

Turdle

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 7:52am

Maybe someone else has had a different experience than me, but I never find that weed killer useful - they still have to be pulled or you have a bunch of dead weeds on display.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-27-2009 - 7:05pm

Plain household Vinegar can kill some weeds - and while it will effect the PH of the soil slightly it returns to normal in 48 hours.

You can also mix vinegar and salt together until the salt disolves. This will kill anything it comes in contact with do not get it on things you want to save. Use 1 gallon of vinegar, 1 cup of salt and a squirt of dish detergent. mix and spray. You can make in a smaller amount if you only have a few weeds.

Gin or Vodka will also kill most weeds (but get the cheap stuff we do not want to waste the good stuff - lol!) It can also be mixed with an equal amount of vinegar and a squirt of dish detergent and an amount of water equal to about 2 times the amount of alcohol and vinegar.

You will still need to pull the dead weeds or turn the soil over and let them eventually compost to keep it neat looking.

hth!