Backyard Ideas For Flowers/Flower Beds??

iVillage Member
Backyard Ideas For Flowers/Flower Beds??
Mon, 08-17-2009 - 11:41pm
Hi...We just finished putting up our new fence...got the lawn grow in the bare spots...wondering about what kind of design I could do in the yard...6'fence...stained rustic color...yard is square in shape...I live in colder climates, so any plant ideas must be hardy to withstand the weather...appreciate any help or info for suggestions! Tks!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 12:44am

See if your state or county Agricultural Extension

Click-Here

Please visit http://www.jefferysjunction.ecrater.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 11:45am

What is your goal with the garden and plantings?

To create privacy? shade? a place for the kids to play? beauty? attracting butterflies / birds / etc.? Do you want sound? movement (ornamental grasses)? strictly visual? All season interest? Are there windows that allow you to see the garden where you want to take the view into account?

How often will you be out there - how many hours per week?

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 11:40am

Also let us know what your USDA zone is. Colder climate can be 5 or 4 or 2 or .... Well you get the idea - What grows in one "cooler" climate will not necessarily grow in another colder climate.

If you do not know your USDA zone then you can find that out here: http://home.ivillage.com/gardening/zonefinder

Also are you planning to plant some annuals? (plants that only grown one season) Or do you only want perennials? (plants that will return year after year) Many gardeners do a mixture of both. And some plants that are grown as annuals in one area can be grown as perennials in other areas. (one example that comes to mind for me is strawberries - in Fl they are grown as an annual and here in WY they are grown as a perennial)

Also do you want to incorporate edible plants (fruits/veggies/herbs)? And are you planning to plant any trees?

I know we have asked a lot of questions, but there is A LOT to think about. For me my "yard" is constantly evolving and I tend to work on one area at a time.