Topsy Turvy success or failure

iVillage Member
Topsy Turvy success or failure
Mon, 08-24-2009 - 2:14pm

just wondering how this was working out for those who bought them. We got our started late and it's been a weird year for gardens in general around here. I finally do have some tomatoes on one of the plants but half of them have rot on the bottom half of them. (big brown dead area for lack of a better description, bottom is flat rather than round). The stupid squirrels were playing trapeze on one of DH's pepper plants and broke it. We have two tomato ones and two pepper ones.

Photobucket Siggy Sep 08
Powered by CGISpy.com

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-07-2009 - 3:31am

It sounds like your tomatoes have blossom end rot. That is usually caused by a lack of calcium in the soil and/or lack of water and then excess water. It can also be caused by planting the plants in cool soil.

More on Blossom end rot here: http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Tomato_BlossRt.htm

We have had a strange gardening year here in Wyoming too. It has been cooler than normal and we have had more rain than normal. I have had more tomatoes show up with B.E.R. this year. (I am not using a Topsy Turvy - it is just to windy here for them unless you have a protected area)