Squirrel problems

iVillage Member
Squirrel problems
Wed, 09-02-2009 - 9:41am

I have a raised (18") bed with heirlooms. The squirrels are doing their usual thing - taking a bite then leaving. I grew one grape tomato plant, hoping they we eat these. Nope - they love the big ones. DH has mounted an ultrasonic device, but it is having only moderate success. What have the rest of you tried? I can't put anything along the edge of the bed, because it is wide enough for me to sit on and work.

Jacquie, in mid-IL

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-02-2009 - 12:35pm

I have used some of the organic repellents (ie shake away etc) with success in keeping away the rabbits and the deer.

YOu can also mix up cayenne pepper, rosemary amd some garlic in water in a spray bottle and spray it on the plants - supposedly they will not like the taste. I know that cayenne pepper, rosemary and garlic are listed on the ingredient list of many of the organic repellents. This year I planted all three in various ares around the garden and I had less of a problem. I also crushed up rosemary leaves, some pepper and garlic with water and boiled. After it cooled I sprayed it on and have not had any further prob;ems. It will probably need to be reapplied after rain.

HTH!