Tomato Experts?

iVillage Member
Tomato Experts?
Fri, 09-04-2009 - 7:22pm

Ok - so my one neighbor gave me a bunch of maters today. BEST I have EVER TASTED!!!!! 89

They grow mostly little & like GRAPES !!!!! More than I've ever seen on a plant & they are SWEET!!! YUMMY!

Now my original other neighbor does not remember what HYBRID they are but WOW@

Any ideas? I want to do these next year -- but not sure if it's the HYBRID or the FERTILIZER. Neighb said she uses a mix of:
SWEET TOBACCO JUICE
RED PEPPER FLAKES &&&
something else I can't remember. Any ideas? I'll hafta ask her....

Wanna do this next year --- most imp = any ideas of the hybrid, soil mix, fertilizer mix??????

PLEASE! I am in heaven -----and apparently greenthumb challenged. I can't make more than a few cherry tomatoes every summer in my upside down plant ---- I do think that system is GOOD - it's just ME, the FARMER< that can't do it so well.

Maters are my FAVE FOOD EVER!!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-05-2009 - 11:50am

Could be sweet 100's or sweet millions.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-05-2009 - 1:18pm

Hi and Welcome!!!

Sweet 100's are the first that come to my mind too but I do not think they are a "grape" tomato. There is a sweet heart grape tomato and a few other that are "grape" shaped (cabernet and Flamingo come to mind). Sweet Pea is a currant tomato - very small!

THere are so many grape and cherry varieties nowadays it could be one of many.

My favorite small tomatoes this year are my Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes and my Pear Tomatoes (they are a yellow variety).

I have not tried the upside down growing method, but I grow in raised beds and also in earthboxes and a few containers here and there.

I planted 32 tomato plants of various varieties this year. My absolute favorite is the Black Krim with the Japanese Heirloom a close second for my large tomatoes.