flowers for extreme heat??

iVillage Member
flowers for extreme heat??
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 8:51am
Hi, I live in an area where it gets very hot in the summer. My flowers are in pots and I try to keep them watered, however every summer I lose them to the hot, hot sun. Not much shade in backyard. Can anyone recommend a flower for this situation?
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 11:10pm

Hi and welcome! Glad you found us. Do you know what your gardening zone is? If not you can find out here: http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

IT is important to know your zone. For instance I lived up in Florida in Zone 9 we had HOT HUMID summers. Now I live in Wyoming in zone 4 our summers are dry, but temp wise sometimes hotter than FL. Some of the flowers will grow in both places, but many do not.

Are you looking for annuals? or Perennials? Only flowers or would you also consider herbs or vegetables that can be grown in pots? (there are some great varieties out there just for container gardening)

Let us know your gardening zone and or part of the country and more about what you are looking for and we can go from there. See you soon!