Grow your own dishcloth!

iVillage Member
Grow your own dishcloth!
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 1:01am

I thought this sounded so cool! Have you ever grown these?

If you never have grown your dishcloths–try it! The dishcloth gourd, Luffa acutangula, is easily grown from seed, and produces a very satisfactory, sanitary dishcloth.

Plant the seed of the Luffa vine about the middle of May, or the time you plant your cucumbers should be right.

In the fall the gourds produced on this vine may be cut open lengthwise, the fibrous mass inside taken out, thoroughly washed in hot soapy water to remove pulp and seeds, then dried in sun and there you have the dishcloth ready for use.

These “cloths” are very durable and easily kept sweet and clean as long as they last. Dirt and grease do not penetrate the fibers as they do in an ordinary cloth. This makes it more desirable for separator and milk utensils than either cloth or brush.

When saturated with water the Luffa “cloth” is agreeable to the touch. The smaller ones may be used for bath sponges, those of medium size for dishcloths, and the largest for “rags” to scrub automobiles. I have heard of people selling the prepared “rags.”

The Luffa vines are vigorous growers. One or two vines, if given room, will produce many gourds, which are often a foot or more long.

http://tipnut.com/grow-dishcloths/