New to the board :)

iVillage Member
New to the board :)
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 12:17am

Hi everyone! My husband and I are home gardeners. This is our second year of doing the big garden. (in previous years we have done 1 or 2 smaller containers)
We (thankfully) don't have a big issue with bugs, but the nutsedge is just driving us crazy. We spray with roundup weed killer and carefully pulling them out (making sure we get the little nut). My husband's friend owns TrueGreen and he told us the only thing that gets rid of nutsedge for good is Sedgehammer. We have read up on it (holy cow is it expensive!) and are concerned about using it around our other plants.

Anyone else battle this evil weed? Any different approaches to getting rid of it?

I attached a pic of our garden, well before everything really got going. This year we are growing sugar pearl corn, dragon's tongue beans, English Sweet Peas, Garden Green Beans, Soy beans, jalapenos, habeneros, Sweet bell peppers, radishes, plum tomatoes, yellow teardrop tomatoes, yellow and red striped heirloom tomatoes, Yellow and red onions, strawberries, horseradish, garlic, purple potatoes and carrots. In my herb garden I planted herbs that I use a lot, Greek oregano, Thyme, Tarragon, and Chives. I have in containers Rosemary and Lavender, mostly for decoration but I do cook with them on occasion.
We also have a concord grape vine that has just absolutely exploded in the past couple weeks and a peach tree (I cannot wait to make homemade peach jam!) which already has about a dozen baby ones on it.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 1:10pm

Hello. I am also in TX, but closer to FT worth. I have a small garden this year. Just 4*4. Lets see, right now, I have Onion, Carrots, Cucumber, Thyme, Oregano, Parsley, Basil, Chives, Mint, Cherry Tomato, Romaine Lettuce, Bell Pepper, Dill Weed, Jalapeño Pepper, Strawberries, and Cat Nip. Most of the herbs are in pots. A few basil is in with the lettuce, so once it comes out, the basil can take over the patch. And the cat nip is going wild. Need to go trim it.

I am also planning a fall garden. Will start seeds for that in late July.

Sarah, mom to Alexis, Samantha and Kayleigh

Photobucket

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sarah, mom to Alexis, Samantha and Kayleigh