Kids and gardening

iVillage Member
Kids and gardening
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 12:45am

I just saw what sounded like a good idea in one of the gardening magazines or books.

It suggested planting both carrots and radishes together because carrots take so very long to start coming up, sort of discouraging the kids, but radishes germinate fast, so there would be something to interest them while waiting for the carrot seeds to germinate.

It sounded like a good idea so I thought I would mention it here.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 1:29pm
That is an excellent idea!!! not only for kids but for impatient mamas too. lol! Raining out today and expected to for the next couple days but I think we will try that!

Powered by CGISpy.com

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 10:46pm

I know I was getting really impatient when I planted the purple and red carrots in the one pot and it took forever for them to start.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 12:37am

I was at the extension office greenhouse this week and they are growing radishes and carrots in containers. The containers they use are 55 gallon drums that they have cut into thirds. I thought that was a very cool idea especially since I can get an almost unending supply of clean drums for free!

That watermelon radish sounds interesting - I may need to look for that, especially for my 4 year old Phillip.