Does anyone grow their own herbs?

iVillage Member
Does anyone grow their own herbs?
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 8:39am
I currently grown only rosemary but want to try my hand at growing some more herbs that I will actually use in my cooking. Does anyone have any suggestions for easy to grow herbs that I can grow in pots

peace-1.jpg peace image by cooleo1995

peace-1.jpg peace image by cooleo1995

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 1:26am

Hi, I am Carol and I am an Herb-a-holic. lol!

Seriously I grow quite a few. A few easy and useful herbs.

Basil - all kinds of basil. This year I am trying for the first time Lime Basil which I was turned on to by one of our other members here. I like the Thai Basil for many things too. The purple ruffles basil adds a nice bit of color too.

IF you like Mexican or making salsa, cilantro is a good bet. I grow mine in with tomatoes.

Oregano is another favorite and I like to grow it in hanging baskets.

Thyme, Lemon thyme, sage (good for poultry and sausage) and Chives are some additional favorites. Depending on where you live the chives may come back year after year. Mint is good for beverages and some meats. I have grown spearmint, chocolate mint, lemon balm, orange mint etc.

Stevia is used as a no calorie sweetener, I grew it for the first time last year.

Most herbs will do well in pots or the ground. Some people prefer mint in pots as it can be invasive.

And while it is mainly known for it's lovely scent I have known people to use lavender in cooking too.

What kind of cooking do you like to do? Maybe we can make some more specific recommendations.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 1:33pm

Hi Carol----you really area herb-o-holic.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 11:15pm

I have found that my oregano is the hardiest of the herbs that I grow. I think it is easy, but speads. I actually just moved it to an area out by my mailbox and out of the garden. Although, last year I had it growing with my tomatos.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 11:33am
I have all kinds of pots with different herbs. I have dill, catnip, and thyme in my big garden. Then mint, basil, oregano, and parsley in pots. And rosemary in the ground. My mom has a lot of rosemary, so I can just go to her house if I need it. I keep thinking about Sage, but have not done it yet.

Sarah, mom to Alexis, Samantha and Kayleigh

Photobucket

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sarah, mom to Alexis, Samantha and Kayleigh

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 1:24pm

I am not that fond of sage although my mom used to grow that in the garden and then would pick it and dry it and pass it out to relatives for that critical sage stuffing for the turkey!!

That said, last year I was fascinated by a new local growers place where they had these really neat containers with a number of herbs in them. They had one that was all sage but there was about 6-7 different kinds including one with huge leaves and seems like it was

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 11:30am
I've grown several different herbs too- Oregano is good and it will spread but can be contained. Be very careful with any Mint!! It is best in a place by itself- it will take over a garden and is very hard to get rid of- I am not a fan of mint and I had some Mint & Spearmint and Lemon Balm while they are nice they took over a flower garden and I spent 2yrs getting rid of it. Even now sprigs pop up and I remove them. My advise: if you want mint- put it in an area by itself so it can spread.
Kathy
Kathy