How do I avoid theming my home?

iVillage Member
How do I avoid theming my home?
Wed, 10-17-2007 - 12:16pm

Hi,

I am new to ivillage in general, but I see this board is new, and hopefully my decorating dilemma can be solved. I am recently married, and my husband and I have been living together for two years now, and while we have all the furniture we need, we have no pictures, decor, drapes or direction. All our furniture is mission style- think Frank l. Wright, or what is sometimes called Arts& Crafts ( as in Sears Roebuck post-WWII homes) and we have a ranch home. I am afraid to end up having the house be totally old. I'm thinking lighter colored drapes to offset the darker furniture and wood, and hammered silver trays, leather ottomans, and then I get lost.

ANYone have any suggestions? I like french country, some modern pieces, and DH just doesn't want cabbage roses all over the house, otherwise he leaves it to me.

I feel desperate, I want to make our home warm and welcoming, but how do I blend styles together?

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2007 - 1:52pm

Hi there and welcome to the board! Would you happen to have photos to share of different rooms/views? It'd be great to see them and would help us come up with ideas on how to tie things together.

Thanks!

Kerri Kerr
Sr. Community Moderator
Home & Garden | Food
iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2007 - 2:30pm
Hello, I have decorated 3 homes and made plenty of mistakes. It's good your asking advice because it saves money and allows you to create rooms people will want to spend time in. I have decorated entire rooms that look GREAT but nobody uses. I think I have finally found the ultimate formula for fantastic rooms.. I to fell into the French country trap. Blue and yellow everywhere. It ends up looking shabby chic. If you really want to impress your man, start thinking French Provincial. Think castle. Don't put anything in your house that
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2007 - 10:03pm

Yes,

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2007 - 12:14pm

Welcome balebusta!

You have a great head start with some

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-25-2007 - 8:14pm

I don't think French Country will go with your furniture as much as I, too, like it.

JHarvest.jpg picture by 3coolmom

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2007 - 1:08am

Go with what you love...surround yourself with it!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2007 - 5:16pm

Hi there Julie, welcome!

Hope you can join in with us often as we love your input.

I have a lot of mix and match too. Even things you would not think go together, but it seems to be all in the mix and everything in my home is well loved. ;o)

Great advice!

My Honeybear & Zinger!