an extra room to decorate

iVillage Member
an extra room to decorate
Fri, 10-19-2007 - 10:48am
We have an extra bedroom I would like to use as a sewing/sitting room.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2007 - 1:47am

Welcome mmbreck!

LOVE your ideas cmkerri and Bridgett.

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2007 - 1:27am

Hi Bridget and welcome to the board! I love your ideas. I look forward to reading more from you :)

Kerri Kerr
Sr. Community Moderator
Home & Garden | Food
iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2007 - 9:16pm

Lucky you to have a room to call your own :)

Rather than eeking out that little bit of natural light I'd try to cosy it up a bit. It sounds like it might be a bit cold and unwelcoming with that ceramic floor so I'd put in a lovely thick warm rug. I'd also make some floor length curtains. You could use long wide panels of fabric sewn together. Along the seams sew lengths of the most gorgeous trimmings and ribon that you can find. Then line them. Very boho chic !! Or you could use a

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2007 - 1:47pm

Hi there and welcome to the board!

My first thought is to add some lamps around the room of various sizes and heights --this will help a lot. You may want to watch at different times of the day where shadows are (including yours) when you sit down to sew to decide the best place for them.

Next, I'd make sure the color of the walls is good for reflecting light --white and off-white or bright colors are great for this. Darker/richer colors and dark woods absorb light.

Mirrors are a great way to not only make a room look bigger but it also reflects light.

If I think of more ideas I'll post again. Be sure to keep us updated on what you decide. Some before and after photos would be great to see as well :)

Kerri Kerr
Sr. Community Moderator
Home & Garden | Food
iVillage.com