What to Do About a Dark Kitchen?

iVillage Member
What to Do About a Dark Kitchen?
Tue, 09-29-2009 - 11:27pm
The Question

iVillage decorating expert Susanna Salk asked for your decorating questions. Now she’s offering her solutions to those decorating dilemmas on the Today show. See Susanna’s suggestions for how one iVillager can brighten up a dark kitchen.

“My dilemma is what color to paint my kitchen. Seems simple but it's the pure vastness of the area that makes it a very tough color choice. Dark woods surround a giant dark green marble center island. I've removed the wall paper and even the white base underneath doesn't help lighten up the kitchen. I need to lighten up the kitchen but refinishing the vast amounts of cabinets is out of the question. Even changing the knobs from the gold to a lighter color is ridiculous with over 90 knobs. With the dark green and swirls of white and lighter greens in the marble, I believe greens are out but my wife doesn't. My hope is to make the overly "executive" style of the kitchen stretch to a more modern open appeal. I need help. Thanks.” —Anthony, Hopkins, SC

Read more: http://home.ivillage.com/slideshow/home_garden/you_asked_we_answered_what_to_do_about_a_dark_kitchen/#ixzz0SYa9VDdc

The Question

My Honeybear & Zinger!