bathroom, need suggestions and ideas

iVillage Member
bathroom, need suggestions and ideas
Sat, 10-03-2009 - 1:53am

We have decided to completely rip out our bathroom. The project is suppose to start next month so I have to make decisions fairly quickly. I am trying to decide what kind of tub to get, at first we said a 3 piece tub but I have been searching the net and see the nice fancy tubs out there. I like the drop in tubs but is there something else I can use besides tile? I what shelves in the shower for bottles etc and with tile we wouldn't get that. I have a little girl that loves to splash so we need things to be durable. Also I see in some photos online the shower has these message jets coming out of the wall. Anybody know anything about this?

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-03-2009 - 7:10pm

Welcome kellymom1977!

Sounds like a big huge job, but I'm sure it will be awesome when you're finished.

Do you have another bathroom to use till you are done?

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-04-2009 - 1:19am
Thanks, hopefully your friend will stop by. This is our only bathroom but my mother lives next door to me as well as my husbands business so when we need a bathroom I guess we will run to one of those. B/c it is our only bathroom the contractor said he would get it completed as quickly as possible, probably 2 weeks which isn't bad. Would be so worth it. My bathroom is 11x7, not huge but big enough. It is only myself, my husband and daughter. Right now my bathroom as a window on the short wall which has a patio on the outside which I don't really like and a 6foot whirlpool on the longer wall. The door is on the shorter wall as well. When I get a chance I will take some pictures.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-04-2009 - 12:19pm

I'm here!

When we did our new bedroom/bathroom suite in what used to be attic space, we didn't have room for a tub. Since we have a large soaking tub in the Master suite and NEVER use it, we decided that a walk-in shower was more to our taste and the contractor recommended that we use an engineered enclosure that came in sheets and basically was installed as one piece. This was easier to get up the stairs than a tub (we probably would have had to remove an outside wall to get a tub in there) and less issues with grouting, etc. than tile would have posed. The neat thing is you can have them made with shelves. I think ours is cultured marble but there are also laminate one and acrylic ones, as well...

I can't speak to massage jet showers. I've seen them on television programs and the like, but never actually seen one in person.

Those three piece tubs look fantastic but how would you bathe a small child in one?

I'm a great fan of skylights. We have two in the new bedroom and three in my office down the hall. They do marvelous things for light levels. Get the kind that are coated to reduce UV and have shades built in, though, as high noon can result in blinding light levels *and* increased heat load in summer...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

Edited 10/5/2009 1:38 am ET by thatyank

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 11:41pm

Thanks for the great thoughts

My Honeybear & Zinger!