c[_]~~ c[_]~~ QOTW c[_]~~ c[_]~~

iVillage Member
c[_]~~ c[_]~~ QOTW c[_]~~ c[_]~~
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 4:40pm

Thinking of giving that kitchen a make over? What do you hate about your kitchen the most?

Mine are the counter tops, old ugly wood look laminate. We are in the process of looking for some new counter top material and I love the rustic natural

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 10:39am

What kind of counters do I like? To be honest, i am not that particular so long as they look presentable (not cracked or peeling), are suitable work surfaces and can be kept clean. I'm one of those weird people who don't mind laminate! LOL

We own three houses:

one (in CA) has butcher block counters with a decorative tile backsplash and a set of tiles inset into one of the butcher blocks next to the stove top to act as a "hot plate". Nice thing about butcher block is it can be refinished easily!

the second (also in CA) has glazed hand-made ceramic tiles with dark grout. The only issue we have had with them is that they are breakable and some renters are less than careful (it's not THEIR house, after all), so we've had to replace some of the tiles.

the current house has a higher quality THICK laminate. Oddly the top of the island isn't the same color as the rest of the counters *and* the backsplash behind the cooktop is the same laminate, which is hard to clean... It's the backsplash I'd like to do away with... as for the rest, I can live with it.

What I dislike in my kitchen is this BIG fluorescent fixture over the island, with a HUGE plastic cover on it (which is a bug catcher *and* which has a habit of falling down now and then). It gives me light, more than enough light, but it's so UGLY! So out of place in that kitchen!

CL for "

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 4:38pm

I agree Carol! I really don't mind laminate counters

My Honeybear & Zinger!