Our new bedroom suite is now legal

iVillage Member
Our new bedroom suite is now legal
Wed, 07-09-2008 - 4:48pm
It passed inspection last Thursday and the carpet went in yesterday. We went shopping at Linens & Things (going out of business sale) and found bathroom accessories almost exactly the same colors as the walls (and the bed linens from which we picked the wall colors). The bed is shipping as of yesterday and DH went to Toledo this afternoon to pick up the television set for the room.

Hallway from the "old" part of the house ( the suite is half our old attic space) - bathroom straight ahead, bedroom to the right, linen closet, garage access and attic to the left

Bathroom - view to the left and view to the right

bedroom, from a new dormer window, looking toward the hallway. That carpet roll (leftovers) is in the second entry to the bathroom

That color is really more blue than green --- one of those nasty-to-match colors!

Before the carpet, we had a cabinet built in on the dormer wall, under the skylights

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2008 - 1:57pm

WOOHOO!

Carol it looks gorgeous! I love the carpet and wall colors, also that built in cabinet will come so in-handy. The skylights add just the right touch of light too.

I started painting my kitchen cabinets this week and do like the blue, but not sure about putting a brown glaze over them. Going to try it today and hope it doesn't make it look dirty.

Thanks so much for sharing your new rooms with us, I love it.

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2008 - 6:03pm
Here it is with bed dressed:

and Bathroom spiffed up as well:

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2008 - 1:42pm

WOW! That looks fantastic Carol!

I love the stylish colors you picked.

Will you be getting a

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2008 - 3:33pm

We bought the bookcase headboard because there isn't enough space for the typical night stands on both sides of the bed (we only have 18.5" clearance for the closet door! Didn't think ahead! LOL). So we will be looking for lamps that work on the bookcase headboard...

And some chairs and table (DH wants a desk --- he's decided to annex the dormer as an extension to his office! I wanted a seating area. MAJOR conflict! LOL I'll settle for his desk IF it's a NICE one in cherry with a couple of pretty upholstered chairs like you might find in a hotel, *IF* he promises to not leave it a mess like his regular office is in . Since we opted to NOT put in a cable connection for a computer there, it would have to be dial-up unless his wireless works there)...

I'm working (albeit slowly) on four embroidered Art Nouveau flowers which just happened to be in that very shade of blue. They are small and there are 4 of them... http://www.millennia-designs.com/tapestry-cross-stitch-embroidery-kits/83/8/81/index.htm I'm thinking some wide "espresso"-colored frames and group them... But there is room for more than that so we are going through our stash of art...

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-16-2008 - 6:16pm

It looks very nice the way it is Carol and I love the fancy Art Nouveau prints you're making. You have a lot of patience to make them. I think in the espresso color frames (get wide ones with glass)

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-16-2008 - 8:36pm

Actually, it is the other side of the bed that caused the problem --- there is only 18.5 inches between the back wall and the closet door! And of course, we planned and installed individual light switches for each side of the bed so the headboard HAD to fit between them! Like I said, didn't plan ahead!

I think swing-out lamps that are attached to the headboard sides might work... we'll have to see. I asked for sconces but DH vetoed them... so it's his job to find suitable lamps!

And yes, that is the ONLY wall where a bed could go, given the ceiling slope.

Edited 8/16/2008 11:38 pm ET by thatyank

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 2:16am
The draperies are now up! Took a while...

the window which faces south, close to the bathroom;

Th Dormer window:

I took both of these in the daytime so naturally the color is off. Here is a closeup of the curtains so you can see the ivory color:

Fireplaces or stoves: which do you prefer?
Is this a perfect sewing room?

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-12-2009 - 1:36pm

Yay! You finally got them!

Very nice Carol! They sure add a bit of elegance and coziness to the room. I like the color very much and they will go with everything, even

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 2:23am
Don't say that about a bathroom remodel out loud! I'm trying to get DH to stop spending! LOL

Fireplaces or stoves: which do you prefer?
Is this a perfect sewing room?