Help with bedroom colors

iVillage Member
Help with bedroom colors
Sat, 08-02-2008 - 5:46pm
Hi all. I'm in need of ideas for our bedroom. Our walls are currently painted eggplant with white trim. Its gotten a little old so I'm looking for a redo. We have light grey carpet and light oak furniture including an oak headboard which takes up almost an entire wall.
I'm not sure what color to paint the walls. I like a taupe, beige idea with the furniture but not sure about it with the carpet. Any ideas? I'm really looking to lighten it up but not sure I want plain white. I think I'd like to bring in some color with the bedspread/curtains. Any suggestions. It is a relatively small room. Thanks
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2008 - 12:25am

Seems to me that, if you pick the "right" taupe, no problem. After all, taupe almost *means* grey in French (it described the color of the coat of a local variety of mole! LOL)!

Check out this site:
http://www.answers.com/topic/taupe

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2008 - 12:05pm

Welcome suege3!

Taupe is a neutral color so it will go with your neutral bed color and carpet.

It is easier to pick out a bedspread you love first

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2008 - 8:50pm

With gray carpet and light oak furniture, are you sure you would want taupe on the walls.

JHarvest.jpg picture by 3coolmom

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2008 - 9:28pm
Thanks for all your replies. You gave me some things to think about. Took your advise about picking bedding first and went shopping with DD today. I found a beautiful aqua comforter with a slight silver stripe. It was stunning but very pricey, so we'll see. But I have decided I love the aqua with the gray. I think I'm ready for a neutral wall cover so possibly white with a hint of gray/silver. I need to get to the paint store and check it out. Do you think I need an accent color with the aqua and gray? If so, what do you think? Thanks so much. It's so nice to bounce ideas off of others.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2008 - 1:46pm

Joan has a good point about taupe walls and the oak bed. You want a complementing wall color.

The aqua comforter sounds real pretty. You know a great color to go with that for a accent wall, maybe the one

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2008 - 6:22pm
Thanks for the links. I actually have blue and brown in my family room. Not aqua, more of a dusky blue. I do love brown with the aqua. I have also thought about keeping eggplant accents as I already have alot that I love. I'll let you all know when it happens. We've got to paint the foyer first. Just finished painting the laundry room, so possibly this fall. Thanks again for the ideas.
Sue
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-07-2008 - 5:47pm

You're welcome Sue!

You would save money with the eggplant color, but are you tired of it?

You could go with a lighter soft green on

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-07-2008 - 10:01pm
I like that! Beautiful shade of green. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
Sue