Need to lighten & mute BR wall color

iVillage Member
Need to lighten & mute BR wall color
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 8:38am
Hi! I hope you guys can help me out. This week I painted what should have been "yellow shimmer" on my bedroom walls, but it turned out what I can only call tennis-ball green. Not quite neon, but something I definitely can't live with. What I'd been hoping for is an icy pale shade of yellow, hence my leaning towards the green/cool side of the color wheel.

I'm not adverse to something in an off-shade of pale green. But short of double-painting all 4 expanses of walls some lighter shade of something, is there any way I can salvage what I've done? Some wash, or glaze, as a faux technique over it? If so, what do I need to do it, & what sort of shades would I be looking among? Need to add that I'm in a rural area with no nearby Lowes, let alone paint & craft stores, so I must use 1 shopping trip to buy whatever's necessary to correct the color. And ASAP would be nice. The pics here don't quite capture how very unsettling this color is for a master bedroom.

Help, please? Thanks so much in advance --

Nica
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 12:28pm

Welcome Nica! So glad you could join us!

I know how aggravating it can be when you paint and it doesn't quite come out the same as on the color chip or what you wanted. This is one reason it's best to get a few sample jars and

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 4:56pm

Thanks so much for your interest, Doris. The problem is, I don't know what I want to do with it, other than for lightening & toning down its almost brash quality. Or at least that's the energy it gives off to me.

Here's what I have in mind for the room itself. Sorry about the space my pics take up, but clockwise from the entry off the corridor, it's a quasi-panoramic view (if you skip the pic w/ me in it). The room-divider panels need to be hung, but the basic idea is shown. The corner chair needs some new color reupholstering. The double window will likely have homemade sheer shades, color undecided. The bed's a king -- takes up most of the wall across from the one w/ the panels, along w/ a single window. The sheets are beige or moss, w/ a brown comforter. Then my corner closet's at the other end of the wall w/ the entry door, across from the double windows. The mirror was my parent's wedding gift from my mom's mother.

Sooner or later, my hardwood floors need sanding & refinishing. Sooner than than, I'm painting the woodwork (which has been horribly abused) a very deep greenish-gray, sort of shadowy. No headboard or footboard. Plants on the windowsills & low-light plants growing up the panels. All to be figured out still, but in the works.

The new paint I've used is, I reckon, at least 2 shades too dark. It's also too garish. In keeping with the plants & the unfinished wood of the panels, I'd like to alter the color more to something found in nature. "Tennis ball green" really does describe the effect it has now, & I can't think of a single plant or vegetable sporting that particular look!

I'm so happy to have found this forum, since I have no feedback around me. Following my husband's death 3 yrs ago, & my mother's a year later, I relocated to WV, & my household consists of 6 indoor cats, a large adult puppy, & myself. And plants. If my guys have an opinion, they're not making it known! I miss a partner, but there it is.

So glad, too, to know someone else out here is rural & enjoys it. After 53 years of suburbia right outside Philadelphia, I'm content with the peacefulness of the country.

Coming back to the walls, I'm wondering if a clear glaze mixed with a mica/ silverish something or perhaps a just a lighter shade of creamy yellow could be sponged over it, letting the existing color peek through yet softening the whole. Any suggestions you can offer are most welcome. I've never tried any painting techniques, just straight colors.

Thanks so much --
Nica

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 4:22pm

Hi Nica!

Thanks for all you photos. I haven't forgot about you. IMO, if I was not happy with the color I would repaint. It would be much easier than to do any kind of sponging or glazing which really takes time and it may make it worse unless you can experiment on some white poster board.

Who knows, once you get the room decorated the color might grow on you, LOL. I would try and live with it for a few weeks and see. It really doesn't look that bad with your nice dark brown

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 9:42am

Oooo ... I ordered that plant stand right away! And I'm not usually an impulse buyer, but that's perfect in lots of ways.

Thank you for so many suggestions & links so far. I just came off 2 days of intensive work outside my home, & am still recovering :), so I haven't yet checked out the other links. I'm trying, meanwhile, to live with that paint for a space, but so far I'm far from comfortable with it. Today I'll start to slowly tackle the woodwork in the room (it has more holes & nails in it than I can possibly imagine reasons for!), & the dark-yet-interesting shade on it might alter my view of the walls. We'll see. Today's also the day for house cleaning, & the snow outside should keep me in.

I'll snap a pic when the trim paint is one one wall, & again, I really appreciate all the help.

Nica

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 6:46pm

You're very welcome Nica! Glad I could help you out!

I think that plant

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 7:07pm

Hi, Doris --

Too busy painting trim today to check the links you kindly sent. I'll do that tomorrow.

Like you, I prefer natural trim. But the woodwork throughout my house had been badly abused. To use just one example, I counted 39 significantly sized holes in the top & upper side of my bedroom's double windows. I can't even fathom the reason(s) for all that. On the bottom sill of the same window, I had to pry out 8 nails & the attached remnants of plastic driven in nearly flush with the wood, but on odd angles. Then there's the layers of varnish on parts of the trim, & the raw achy scratched-up surface of other areas. It's a mess.

I'm using a choice I'm happy with: a smoky very deep forest green. Shadowy. The problem is, although I let go of most of my innate perfectionism (for sanity's sake), I'm still that bent with edging 2 colors together. That blue painter's tape is allowing some seepage. And then there are the seams where the woodwork meets the caulk on the windows. Ugh.

The other matter is removing my house-inherited vertical mini-blinds. Never liked them, & they had to come down to paint. Still, in the meantime, my privacy in bed is non-existent. And while I think most people have better things to do than stop & stare into my house, I do have a new, freaky, regularly high neighbor 3 doors down who's already called me "lewd" around the neighborhood, for going onto my deck in just a tee.

Well, I'm rather achy & tired by now. Off to nest in with a book & an early night.

Until later,
Nica

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 5:30am

You can test colors before painting with the web site of Testyourcolors :
http://www.testyourcolors.com/en/

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 4:42pm

Hi Nica!

Hope you are still around. It's been a long time since we had a update on your bedroom and house. Was wondering how you made out and what colors you went with.

Try and let us know if you still hopefully visit here!

My Honeybear & Zinger!