Platform Bedframes?

iVillage Member
Platform Bedframes?
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 6:50pm
I found a queen bed set (mattress and boxspring) at a really good clearance price and I just love it. The problem is I didn't want the bed to sit on the floor, but couldn't find an affordable platform bed frame. Most I'm seeing are a few hundred bucks (whereas a full is around half the price and that was the size bed I had before grrr!) and that's just way more than I want to spend. I have one of those cheap metal rolling frames just for the sake of keeping the bed off the floor, but it squeaks and moves and is annoying. I would love an alternative that is cheaper and doesn't involve putting the bed directly on the floor.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 6:18pm

Welcome ladybookworm!

I can see your dilemma. Is the iron frame expandable? Some of them you can adjust to fit the size of the bed and use caster cups under

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 5:00pm
Thanks for your suggestions. There is no SO and I'm not extremely handy, but am willing to work with some tools if need be. My floor is carpeted and I figured the wheels wouldn't roll much on it, but they do and the frame itself isn't adjustable. I'm going to do a bit more research and see what happens.

--------
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 4:19pm

Ok so it seems if I were to build one myself I'd end up spending as much as the cost of one of the too expensive frames I found since wood isn't as cheap as I thought it was. And I don't have all the required tools to properly assemble it.

The milk crate idea sounds fun actually. I remember swiping those before having to move (yes I now know that's stealing lol) when I was a kid. You can order the authentic ones (the ones found in department stores don't hold nearly as much weight) online, but the cost adds up given the number you'd need to provide adequate support.

Hmmm..... not sure what to do now, but I find that metal frame so irritating I may just stop sleeping in the bed altogether lol.

--------
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 12:58pm

Hi! I did a really quick google search and see that Amazon.com has some bedframes. Below is a link to a cute one with free shipping. (It says that it doesn't include the headboard or footboard, but it seems like the tall corner posts must be part of the frame. If you like the frame or the set, it might be worth a phone call/email to find out the details.)

Have you looked or asked on your local craigslist? I haven't used that site much myself, but I would think they have lots of household items.

Karen

http://www.furniturexo.com/product_info.php?products_id=9968

Edited 2/7/2010 1:07 pm ET by kc325
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 12:14pm
I did look at craigslist actually since I've heard of people finding some great deals. Most of the queen sized frames didn't have the center support bar and I thought that was a bit odd. I will keep checking however. I also went into a few thrift stores this weekend and they didn't have any, but the sales reps said to keep checking because they get new stuff all the time. I'd never heard of furniturexo.com, but will look into that as well, thanks for the link.

--------