In my living room,

iVillage Member
In my living room,
Wed, 10-17-2007 - 2:36pm
... it's not only the entry into the home and the first thing people see (unless they come to the side door for some reason), but it also serves as more of a multifunctional space. The kids' computer is in there, tucked away in a nice little armoire now, but we also have a big shelving unit full of books and a TV for the kids, as well as some exercise equipment (AbScissor and Total Gym). See, we use the den of the house, which has a fireplace, as our main living area (although it, too, is a multipurpose room due to the fact that I work from home and my computer's in the den, lol). I want the other room to serve its useful purpose, but to still be a nice space that's welcoming to visitors. For now, there's absolutely no other place to put the exercise equipment, and it's not the easiest stuff to store, either, so it has to stay, and the computer is in no way going to head off to one of the bedrooms where it can't be supervised by me. I did recently purchase a really nice screen to hopefully serve as a room divider and hide the exercise equipment, but what are some other tips for keeping it useful and making it welcoming at the same time?

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2007 - 1:32pm

Hi there Bama Babe :)

Great question! The first thought that came to mind was screens, but you're already doing that. I'll try to think of other ideas for your living room and reply again. Would you happen to have some pics of this room that shows everything? I'm sure that would help me and others come up with ideas.

Thanks!

Kerri Kerr
Sr. Community Moderator
Home & Garden | Food
iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2007 - 12:49pm

I believe in making your house work for you, not the other way around. I realized long ago that

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2007 - 1:22am

Hi and welcome to the board! Thanks so much for your input. I hope to read more from you :)

Kerri Kerr
Sr. Community Moderator
Home & Garden | Food
iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2007 - 5:37pm

Welcome Bamababe!

The screen is a good idea to hide your equipment. Can you make it a thing of beauty and focal point

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2007 - 5:49pm

Welcome gabtzy!

I like your way of thinking, you have some great ideas.

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2007 - 7:15pm

Well, my photo software isn't cooperating, though I did try to get some pics, lol. I did find a way to arrange the furniture to accomplish a little of what I'm after, though it's not quite where I want it to be yet. I think a part of me is having problems with it because I'd really just like to add a room on the back for the exercise equipment and stuff like that. I'd like for that room to be a living room, not a catch-all room, lol.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2007 - 7:20pm

Well, the problem is, it's not working for me the way it is currently. I don't mind having the things in there, but the way they're presently arranged makes it difficult to make good use of them, and it's ultimately not a good use of the space. No, we don't have many guests, and none who'd ever think anything wrong with having the things in there that we do, but it bugs me still because it just doesn't fit or function the way that it should for us. No, we don't have a formal dining room, either, or it would totally be a home office at this point, lol. I also don't have an attic, a basement, or a garage - and the one useful shed we have is full of decorations and things that we don't need year-round. I do need to de-clutter and reorganize closets and things and reassess our needs as a whole, though, I think.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2007 - 7:27pm
Really, I'd love to upload pics but am having difficulties with my software at the moment. Right now, colors aren't much of an issue as the room is this blah beige that will be going away ASAP since it's a matte finish that just isn't practical with kids in the house, and the carpet is a shade darker beige - really, it's a pretty nondescript sort of a room. It does have big windows with off-white sheers on them and the front single door plus double louvred doors that enter the kitchen/dining combo, and then the open entry to the hallway. We have big black shelving that we inherited with the purchase of the house, and that holds a ton of books and my husband's PT Cruiser and Mustang collections. Then there's the AbScissor and Total Gym, the nice dark oak computer armoire I just bought, a light oak TV stand with the TV on it, of course, and the screen. The screen is black frame with a Hautman wolf scene for the screen panels, so it completely blocks the view of whatever's behind it. I placed it so when you walk in the room from the front door, it all but conceals the exercise equipment from view. I do promise as soon as I get the software working, I'll upload pics to share ASAP. :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2007 - 11:01am
Wow! Nothing I said seemed helpful. Sorry. I was wondering though, are you trying to arrange furniture around a T.V.? Perhaps if you envison the space without regard
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-11-2007 - 11:24pm

That's ok bamababe!

I can understand software problems as I have had some myself in the past.

Perhaps changing your curtains to something more colorful would add some spark to the room? Go with a color that is in your new pretty wolf screen. Does it have a nice green in it or just browns and blacks?

What about a nice colorful

My Honeybear & Zinger!