Brighten up living room w/o going broke

iVillage Member
Brighten up living room w/o going broke
Fri, 10-19-2007 - 1:47pm

We're trying to sell our house so any tips would be great.

I have dark furniture in my living room (dark green sofa & chairs that are multi-colored in fall colors), dark green curtains, and dark wood furniture.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2007 - 1:50pm

Hi Mia and welcome to the board!

How about some sheers to go behind your current drapes? This way you can open up the drapes to let the light in yet the view will be obscured. Also check the lighting in the room, do you have enough? Do you need to add more lamps or move them around for a better/brighter affect? Mirrors can be a great way to reflect more light in a room also, maybe you can add some or move ones you have around to where they reflect more light.

If I think of other ideas I'll drop by again. Keep us updated on what you decide to do!

Kerri Kerr
Sr. Community Moderator
Home & Garden | Food
iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2007 - 12:22pm

HI, I know what it is like to be one appliance away from bankruptcy. The room seems in stark contrast to a rush of traffic outside. I like that cosy feeling. However, the weight of all the darkness seems to be a bit too much. Tan or gold fabrics on the windows

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2007 - 2:40pm

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2007 - 2:46pm

Yes, exactly!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2007 - 6:08pm

Welcome to the board Mia!

I think the two most important things to do when selling a home is to have it sparkle inside and out, windows and all. Then to

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-09-2007 - 12:39am

Mia,

I totally agree on the sheers. I also agree on golden fabrics, there are many yellows and oranges that match perfectly with your colour scheme, even some dark reds give a special touch and make a statement in the room.

As for the views, is there any chance you can plant some tall bushes in front of those

Maureen

Visitor to 2004 October Harvest Cuties  and  

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-29-2008 - 12:21pm

Hi Everyone
I found a site that is so great. Home decor at its best and for my pockets. Everything from birdhouses to furniture, bed and bath and everything in between. YOU MUST CHECK OUT THIS SITE. Oh, by the way they are very reasonably price.
They have a sale going on now but even their regular prices is second to none. Sometimes they even offer free shipping. CHECK IT OUT www.djsgiftworld.com

Good Luck