World's Weirdest Floor Plan

iVillage Member
World's Weirdest Floor Plan
Thu, 03-27-2008 - 6:56am
Our living room is so odd that I can't figure out how to put the furniture. Draw a rectangle, 13 feet across, and 24 feet long, with the long sides going up and down on the paper and the shorter sides on the top and bottom. Now on the top wall, there is a doorway on the left and a corner fireplace on the left. So...top wall...left to right...two feet of wall, wide doorway leading to kitchen, 2 1/2 feet of wall, corner fireplace. Now moving to the wall down the right side, the fireplace takes up the corner, of course. The rest of that wall is blank. The bottom wall from right to left has our front door and a picture window which take up that whole wall. Now on the left wall, about two/thirds of the way up the wall is a door leading to the hall.
I guess our fireplace should be the focal point, but I can't figure out how to use it as that because of all those doorways that can't be blocked.
We use that room to watch tv and visit with family. Any ideas would be appreciated.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2008 - 4:04pm

Welcome bamakathy!

Gosh!

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2008 - 2:23am
I can picture this room, and since it has so many doorways, the only thing for you to do is to center a seating area with a sectional or two coucnes and a chair or two or sofa/loveseat with chairs and of course a coffee table and side tables in the middle of the room. Depends if you want to focus on the front window or fireplace which way you set the furniture, but the fireplace can just be in the background and still be appreciated with a roaring fire or just seasonally decorated. You have to keep the furniture out of the way of where one would walk
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 2:49pm

How did you make out with your LR bamakathy?

Need more help?

Happy Springtime!

Time to break out those spring curtains ladies!

Thanks for joining us.

{{hugs}} cl-honeygirl45

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 3:02pm
I still have no idea how to arrange the furniture. Right now, it's all shoved up against the walls. :-P
Kathy
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 11:40pm

Try and take some photos of the room Kathy and post them so we can help.

You can even take some regular ones, then upload to a free online photo album and give us a link.

Of course hand drawn scanned sketches if nothing else would help us to

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 11:08am
Hi. What sort of furniture do you have? For example, do you have a standard 3-cushion sofa or a sectional? A piano? A round or rectangular coffee table?
What sort of furniture pieces do you want to use in this room?
And, how is the room used? For watching TV & hanging out with the family, as a more formal living space, etc?
Considering these details could help you design the room.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 11:43am
Just based on the floor plan, I think the easiest thing to do would be to create two seating areas in the room: one around the fireplace and one around the window. I created one option using a handy online room planner: http://www.ashleyhomestores.com/RoomPlanner/RoomPlanner.aspx?PageId=RoomPlanner. My plan is attached as a screenshot (.jpg) to this message.
In the plan, you will see a sectional sofa (with RAF chaise) centered around an entertainment center near the front of the room. The back of the sofa also helps create an entry way from the front door. Towards the back of the room, around the fireplace, I put two accent chairs and an end table on top of an area rug, with a lamp. This area could then be used for reading or just relaxing around the fireplace. Next to the hallway door, in the top left, you could place a console table or bookcase for additional storage.
Alternatively, if you don't need the TV in the room, you could create a larger seating area (with sofa) near the fireplace, and a smaller seating area near the picture window.
You will likely want to come up with more lighting options (based on what overhead lighting you already have in the room as well as the placement of outlets), but I thought this was a start. Also, you'll want pictures and such on the wall to help liven things up. :)
Those are just my thoughts! Hope that helps give you some ideas.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 10:37pm

Welcome flutegirl!

That's so nice of you to post a floor plan for Kathy. Good one too!

My Honeybear & Zinger!