Living Room/Dining Room combo..help!

iVillage Member
Living Room/Dining Room combo..help!
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 3:57pm

Hi, I just moved into a one bedroom apartment. The apartment is basically two rooms: a bedroom and a living room/dining room/kitchen combo.

My question is this, what is the best way to separate the other room to create a living room and a dining room area?

I've attached a floorplan and included links to some pictures. The floorplan doesn't show it but I have a fireplace in the living room on the right, perpendicular to the wall with the window.

The only logical place I see for a sofa and TV is having the sofa against the wall with the window and the TV across from it against the little wall divider between the kitchen and the "dining room." But it seems like I can come up with something better than that! It'd be nice to have the dining room just next to the opening of the kitchen, but I don't think there's enough room in the other area for couches.

Any help would be just amazing!

Here's the link to pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/speshell86/ShelleyHasHerOwnApartment?authkey=7yrPxE4Y0B4

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 8:58pm

Welcome Shelley!

Congrats on the apartment, is this your first one?

Love your photos and especially the cute

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 9:11pm

Hi, thank you for the nice reply! Yes it is my first apartment without roommates and I'm thrilled!

I haven't bought a sofa and am waiting to buy one until I figure out where I want it. The space between the LR window and the kitchen is 120 inches. I'm thinking I can fit a couch there and perhaps get a wall mount for the TV to put above the fireplace. What do you think?

Would love to hear your ideas!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 6:41pm

You're welcome Shelley!

Well, 120 inches is 10 feet. Plenty of room to put a 6 or 7

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-31-2008 - 5:46pm

Hi Shelley!

I am sure you are busy unpacking, so when you get a chance stop by and let us know how you're doing and check out the suggestions I gave you. Wondering how you liked them.

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-08-2008 - 6:01am
hello,
CONGRATS.. for your new apartment. I would suggest that you go for room dividers that are available in plenty of different makes and design. Moreover, you can go for sectional furniture which can best utilize the space in the apartment.