Newbie needs advice

iVillage Member
Newbie needs advice
Thu, 08-21-2008 - 2:25pm

Hi all:

I recently did an impulse buy (not recommended) of a bedroom set and now have to come up with a color scheme for my bedroom walls and bedding. The room is not dark, but doesn't get a ton of natural light either. I purchased the upholstered headboard which is tan with a faint pool blue stripe through the linen-type weave. I'd like to do a dash more color than the photos in the below link.

Here is the link to the bed and furniture I purchased.

http://www.greatpricedfurniture.com/products/51238001.html

Any suggestions? All will be appreciated!

Thanks.

-Leanne
decorating neophyte

-Leanne
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-21-2008 - 4:41pm

Welcome Leanne!

LOL, that was a great impulse. That sure is a pretty bedroom set. Did you get the high launjuray chest too?

I would suggest, like I have to others.........get your bedding first then you can think about or pull colors (if it's more than one color) from it for a color palette for your room, much easier that way. Pick out something you really love. Your furniture is pretty neutral, so most any color comforter should go. Since the bed is a dark wood I would go light for a contrast.

You know what is VERY in style now? Aqua and chocolate brown or blue and brown. I can see by your furniture link the blue in your headboard is actually aqua. If you stay with a neutral wall color, like the one in this link below you can change your bedding colors from summer to winter. Light colors on the wall of a room that is a bit dark will make it look bigger and brighter

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-21-2008 - 5:15pm

LOL because I was going to make the same recommendation as cl-honeygirl45! Buy some bedding that you really really like and pull your colors from that! Not only is it easier to match paint to fabric than the other way around, it gives you the option of accessorizing in shades of the bedding color because you KNOW that they will coordinate!

For example, in my green bedroom (oak furniture and woodwork), I alternate between a dark blue patchwork quilt and a light cream and pastel comforter, both of which have the wall's dark green in the patterns. I purcashed sets dark green, light green, white, and navy bed linens so I can switch out sheets and pillow cases as well! And both the quilt and comforter have some rose-pink in them so it's also possible to bring in touches of pink...

Also, I went with the blue and chocolate color scheme in our new bedroom... there are lots of possibilities out there right now for that scheme, although the blues can vary quite a bit so I carried a pillow slip around with me for every shopping trip!

By the way, here is how David Bronstad did a blue and chocolate living room:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_design_living_area/article/0,1793,HGTV_3376_5487635,00.html

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2008 - 7:54am

I like the wall color in the 1st picture - and lean towards a comforter like the one in in the 2nd link. Great advice. Thanks for your input.

-Leanne

-Leanne
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2008 - 8:14am

Thanks!

-Leanne

-Leanne
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2008 - 10:27pm

You're welcome Leanne!

I think the spread you like is the prettiest too. Looks great with the light light green walls.

Good luck and let us all know how you make out. Photos would be great!

Going to order this desert wall mural, what do you think?

Have you seen the AWESOME new Grand Canyon West glass enclosed skywalk? This is near my house.

Check it out: http://news.cnet.com/2300-1008_3-6169001-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg

Do you have Decorating Dilemmas? click here: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-hgdecdilemma

Come and visit me on my new "Wildlife Watching"

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-28-2008 - 11:18pm
I would have gone with a deep red, but you said your room is pretty dark.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2008 - 9:34am

First, I want to welcome you to the board.

JHarvest.jpg picture by 3coolmom