Large window? Where to put your sofa!

iVillage Member
Large window? Where to put your sofa!
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 3:08pm

Where should I put my sofa if the room has a large window?

Good idea, click here: http://choosers.ivillage.com/home/decorating_dilemmas/?k1=result&k2=14&nlcid=hh|09-23-2008

Then choose

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 4:12pm
In our living room, the sofa is a semi-circular sectional and we have positioned it dead center in the room (well, three of the four sections --- DH has the fourth one in his office!) with a large square coffee table in the center of the "C" it forms and the opening of the "C aimed at both the fireplace (on the west, and window, wall: the the left in this picture - you can see part of the raised brick hearth in this picture) and the built-in entertainment center (on the the north wall: top in this picture) where our flat screen TV resides!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 4:38pm

Nice room Carol! It must be pretty big.

You did the right thing to have a view of everything. I had to break up my L shape sectional to fit the layout of our AZ room. I hated to do this, but there just wasn't enough room with the wood stove dead center in the room.

Soon as I get a new battery charger for my camera, I'll post some photos. It finally gave up on me, LOL.

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 6:17pm
I guess it is but *I* think it looks so big because it's two stories high and open to the second floor hall (from which that picture was taken).

It really has a small footprint and is awkward in that it has few walls and the fireplace and entertainment center provide two focal points at right angles to each other. Made placing that sofa tough --- and we finally had to give up on the fourth part and use only the three. So we are limited in seating (six max, and awkward at that) and we really only use the room to eat dinner (off of a trays) while watching the evening news! when people visit, we always end up in that seating area of the kitchen where we can seat at least 8 and squeeze in a ninth if necessary!!

Fireplace wall has two large windows which make placement impossible on that wall:

Entertainment center takes up the entire wall (DH was cleaning the ceiling fan which is why there is a ladder there!). Note the high sloping ceiling:

the wall opposite the fireplace really isn't a wall but a wide opening to the hall and the foyer (left) and dining room (right) beyond the hall). You can see the catwalk for the upstairs hall in this picture:

and the wall opposite the entertainment center has the entry to the kitchen so there is really only half a wall, where we put our large Beijing wardrobe which has a lot of DH's porcelain collection:

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2008 - 9:51am
Actually I was a little surprised that they suggusted putting the sofa in front of a large window.

JHarvest.jpg picture by 3coolmom

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2008 - 3:10pm

Beautiful, Beautiful

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2008 - 3:29pm

No problem!

yes, we DO have a lot of things in there. I keep telling D we need to sort through the Chinese tchotchkes and put them in some sort of order. But he keeps adding airplanes... AAARGH!

I use the digest. Brings the email notifications down to one a week with a single notification which covers a whole bunch of boards... Each week has "new threads" and activity on "old threads" for each board I post at without my hat. With my hat, well, I check those boards every day so I don't really NEED notification...

We are in the middle of record high temps for this time of year. It was in the 80s yesterday (a record) and will likely be that way today as well. Indian Summer --- first one I remember having here since we moved back to the US! Everyone is saying we will have snow by November. AAARGH! I HOPE not. This weather is glorious! Oh, and the trees are turning now!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2008 - 3:35pm

I bet it looks real nice there too Joan. Do you keep a throw over the back to prevent fading? That's the only thing I would do if it's in front of a window.

I only have one part of my sectional in front of a window with a sofa table and lamp behind it. In our AZ room it's all about the views, so we solved it by putting our HDTV in a corner mounted

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2008 - 5:36pm
Hi Carol,

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2008 - 5:40pm

I love your tile floor.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2008 - 6:22pm

Thanks, although I do wish that living room weren't so "eclectic"! DH's model airplanes and Chinese antiques do not a decor make! LOL

They are predicting a cooling trend by the weekend with rain tomorrow, Wednesday and Friday, so I think our Indian Summer has run is course...

Ooops I forgot to take off my hat! Sorry!

Edited 10/13/2008 6:23 pm ET by cl-thatyank

CL for