Black is back in style!

iVillage Member
Black is back in style!
Wed, 09-30-2009 - 12:01am

Some interior designers will tell you that one of the "rules" of design is to always put one black accessory or article of furniture in a room. They say it "grounds" the room and helps balance out brightly-colored accents. I don't think this is a very good reason to use black in my decorating scheme though. Instead, I decorated my living room with touches of black because I like the way it looks. Black is one of the most versatile colors around. It coordinates surprisingly well with my traditional style, but it can look just as good in a room that's romantic or modern.

Now those are good reasons why I'm happy to hear that the color black is back in style—although I do wonder if it was ever out—according to designer Karl Lohnes. The new black, says Lohnes, is less shiny and more traditional than the big black leather sofas of the '80s. Look for picture frames, window treatments, side tables, lampshades, smaller furniture and even countertops in a matte, or flat finish, advises Lohnes. Lohnes best tip for using black: Mix black accessories with televisions, speakers and other existing black-colored items for a unified look. The more you blend the items, the less they will look like appliances or electronics and more like decorations instead.

The new CB2 catalog has some great new black accessories including this wool rug with a classic cherry blossom pattern, this oversized clock and the handwoven raffia shades on this floor lamp.

CB2_dining.jpg
photo: cb2.com
CB2_desk.jpg
CB2_mediaconsole.jpg

And these black Silhouette window shades from Hunter Douglas combine surprisingly well with the browns and creams in this room:

hunterdouglas.jpg

Thanks Amy!

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-19-2009 - 3:43am
Very awesome post! It's great that somebody showed interior decorating pictures using black tones, which I regard as rich and elegant tones. Some would associate black as sterile and industrial, while it destroys the harmony of your color scheme at the same time. However, your photos showed a different side of a color as it is able to add a certain level of sleekness that can't be found in any other color. Post some more please!

: School of Interior Design :
Top rated Interior Design Schools and Programs in your area - Entry requirements for Interior Design Courses.http://www.schoolofinteriordesign.org
: School of Interior Design :
Top rated Interior Design Schools and Programs in your area - Entry requirements for Interior Design Courses.
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-23-2013 - 10:23am

Dynamic Duo: Black and White Is Back and Better Than Ever   A bathroom with vintage style and a black and white palette

Rediscover this classic chameleon palette as it crosses over from 1920s' glam to totally neutral.

A Vintage Bath Inspired by Downton Abbey

Eco-Friendly Kitchen Merges Natural and Bold

Antique and Contemporary: A Softer Approach

Black + White = 6 Ways With the Color Gray

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-30-2013 - 11:48am

Painting the walls is one switch that packs a lot of punch, especially if you choose a dramatic or surprising hue -- like black. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/paint-color-ideas-black_n_35043...