Furniture arrangement help needed

iVillage Member
Furniture arrangement help needed
Wed, 10-14-2009 - 2:35pm
Hello,

I'm new here and hoping for some suggestions for a floorplan for my living room.

My living room is very wide so I know the furniture needs to float. It is 25' x 15' with a 7' fireplace in the center. You enter from double wide doors looking at the fireplace ahead of you. There are built in bookshelves in all four corners with large windows in between...basically leaving no wall space for a tv/media storage. I think the tv will have to go on the wall either to the left or right of the living room entrance, but I cannot see how to have a seating area around it and around the fireplace. We have been in the house for over a year with an empty living room because I just cannot figure it out!

I would love to have enough furniture for groups of 8 or more to sit comfortably but without feeling like all the furniture is crammed into the middle. I have seen two sofas flanking the fireplace but am afraid there wouldn't be room for chairs too.

I'm attaching a floorplan. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. I'm looking at furniture similar to this: http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=57087&CatID=57305&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=1755a6f&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=57087|57090&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=24&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=57087|57090|57305
I would like at least two arm chairs.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-14-2009 - 2:56pm

And here are some living room pictures from the previous owner's decor. Now it is empty and so depressing :(

I didn't like their layout. Things didn't feel in the right place. The window behind the sofa is the front of the house. It didn't feel right to have your back to the front. Also, we have long long winters here and I would like to be more central to the fireplace but with comfortable t.v. viewing as well. The last picture with the t.v. is when you walk into the room to the left, probably my only spot for a t.v.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-14-2009 - 3:40pm

And this is one idea I have, but I'm not sure how things would look in real life. It's a rough sketch. I got frustrated with the room planner tool.

The T.V. would go on the wall/media console on the wall immediately to the left when you come in the room (any other suggestions welcome!).

Thanks.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-14-2009 - 6:02pm

Welcome am3c!

That's a really lovely

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-15-2009 - 1:32am

I was thinking similarly to Doris --- a lat screen over the fireplace. You can even get swivels so you can point the screen wherever you want! We put one on a swivel in our new second bedroom suite...

Like you, we have basically no walls and the media center was on the wall to the right of the fireplace wall so there was no straight-on accommodation. We have a semi-circular sectional (in four parts), three of which we floated (we put the fourth part in DH's office --- all four pieces were way too big for the room but three worked just right --- three pieces seats six but we rarely have large groups gather in there anyway - everyone seems to gravitate to our kitchen instead!). We can see both fireplace and the built-in media center from anyplace on that sofa!

Part of the sectional is back to the front of the house but the entire fireplace wall is along the back of the house so it doesn't really bother me. And we purchased a really nice end table and two cabinets to back sofa so, along with a large coffee table that fits in the middle of the arc, everyone seated there has someplace to place a drink or whatever...

I'll attach photos: the first one shows the media center and the front entry through the arch, the second one is from above so you can see the furniture arrangement, and the third shows the fireplace...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-16-2009 - 10:45am

Thanks for the links, pics, and your ideas!

I never thought of a sectional and wasn't really a fan before but I think one would work really well in this room. One thing I forgot to mention is that the mantel is very high to begin with and the couch cannot be set far enough away from it to view it comfortably.

I think for now we are not going to worry about the t.v. We don't even own one now -- just dvds on our computer. Once I get the room set up maybe I will have other ideas for a media area.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-17-2009 - 4:36pm

Hello am3c & welcome.

I'm a bit late coming in because I had to take pictures of my livingroom while nobody is in there which is pretty rare LOL.
Anyway I have a "weird" livingroom too, 2 walls are 75% windows (1 set of windows is off center),

pam.gif picture by Nicolesigs

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-17-2009 - 8:12pm

Hi am!

Like Carol mentioned, they do have those TV wall mounted

My Honeybear & Zinger!