iVillage Member
Rugs ? QOTW ? Comforters, Quilts?
Wed, 01-13-2010 - 4:46pm

Have you ever hung colorful area rugs, comforters, blankets

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 10:46am

I have!

Rugs --- in our California house, we had two Rya rugs on the big two-story wall in the addition we built on; in Beijing, we hung a silk carpet we found in Xi'an on the living room wall; in Saudi Arabia, we decorated the walls in the living room, dining room and hallway with a rotating display of our Persian carpets and a pair of small prayer rugs acted as "headboards" for the twin beds in our "guest room".

Quilts --- there is a Hawaiian quilt on my bedroom wall at this very moment (walls aren't tall enough for the rugs at this house...)

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Has the recession really led us to make do instead of just throw away?
January is
Get Organized Month!
What do you do to get yourself out of a style slump?

CL for "

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-30-2010 - 9:10am

At one time I had the baby quilt, that my grandmother made for me, hung above my bed.

JHarvest.jpg picture by 3coolmom

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-30-2010 - 6:57pm

I did the same thing with one of my DD when they were small. My Mom made her a baby quilt and I hung it above her headboard.

Yes, decorating can be your very own style and personalized. You can always redo a old idea or thing once used. ;o)

Wishing you ALL

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 9:16am

I actually have a quilt hanging on a wall in

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 8:16pm

Sounds great! So do tell us, what colors are in your LR wall quilt? Did you make it yourself?

Have any photos you can share?

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 12:50pm

Hi Doris,

The quilt is actually in Americana colors which don't even suit the colors in my living room today. However, it fills up the giant wall space so it's stayed. I'll snap a pic and share.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 12:42pm

Hi there! Yes, I have a comforter hanging on my big wall in the family room. The wall is blue and carpet is green, so online I found a comforter that is gold, blue, green and russet/reddish print. My camera is having issues at the moment, but I may have a photo taken after we put it up. If I find it, I will post it.

Karen

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 4:53pm

Karen! How nice to see you again, I missed you and so glad you found time to post.

How is the house coming along?

Would love to see the photo if you can find it!

Welcome back! {{HUGS}} Doris

Wishing you ALL

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-14-2010 - 2:38pm

Well, I found a photo from just before the comforter was hung up. In the photo it is hanging over a 4 x 8 sheet of paneling, but is now hung on rings and 2 black metal decorative rods (couldn't find 1 rod that was long enough).

As for the rest of my projects on my 100 year old house, this spring/summer I plan on replacing the dilapidated back porch off the kitchen (11 ft long gutter came crashing down on Christmas Eve when freezing rain filled it solid with ice) and replacing the dilapidated rusted metal 1 car garage with a 2 car garage if my contractors can get it to fit on my little lot. Since the driveway doesn't actually reach the garage, I also plan on extending that too. Under my porch is where my sewer and water lines enter/exit the house, so I want to get a plumber with a camera to check out the age of the sewer. If it looks like the pipes are 100 years old, I probably should replace them too before a new porch/foundation goes over it.

And to make things interesting, the village I live in has decided to apply for Federal Stimulus money and replace the 100 year old water and sewer lines under my street as soon as weather permits (around late April). Hopefully my contractors will be able to get into my yard/driveway!

So now I am in need of enclosed porch and garage storage ideas and driveway suggestions. The porch will be an unheated combination foyer and utility/mudroom/garage space because my detached garage will be 30-40 ft away and not convenient for daily storage in the winter for recycling/trash, snow shovels/salt/sand etc. I want to tie in the colors from the new kitchen and use the same ceiling tiles too, but need a good storage plan. In addition to the recycling, trash and winter stuff, I use my current porch for birdseed, and small gardening supplies. Let me know if you have a favorite layout that works for you!

Karen

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 9:23pm

Gosh Karen, must be getting old here as I completely overlooked your post. Sorry! Glad I go back and look over the board once in awhile.

I must say, I LOVE all the blues and greens in your room, it looks so fun and relaxing.

I know you have wanted to replace your porch for awhile now and that gutter crashing down would have scared me to death. So I guess you have a big excuse to do something about the porch now. ;o)

My Honeybear & Zinger!