empty wall help

iVillage Member
empty wall help
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 1:01pm
Hello I'm new to the board and was so excited to see a decorating message board! This is embarrassing to say but I am a woman who knows nothing about decorating. My version of decorating is put what I need in a room and be done with it. I just don't have the eye for decorating.
My husband and I just moved into a new home(a rental home)and I could use help in the living room. I am not used to having 2 small living rooms, I am more of a one big living room type of person.
After trying to arrange the main living room we could only come up with one solution. This solution is so everyone can see the tv without looking at it sideways. In doing this I have an empty wall. I would like to dress up this empty wall without having anything in the way of viewing the tv.
We have family pictures we can display but I only want to put up a few(not my DD's whole childhood LOL). I don't know the first thing about displaying pictures and was thinking of a picture hanging that would make it easy for me and be stylish. Here is a link to something I thought might work but I could use input:
http://www.exposuresonline.com/ExposuresOnline/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=PICTURE+FRAMES&SCID=Wall+Frames&ProductID=BC00340304&SourceCode=40509000001&mr:trackingCode=E8B62351-FD22-DF11-9B13-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA
or they also have one that is longer:
http://www.exposuresonline.com/ExposuresOnline/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=PICTURE+FRAMES&SCID=Wall+Frames&ProductID=BC00340307&SourceCode=40509000007&mr:referralID=2812af30-4b49-11df-bf2c-000423bb4e79
Or would a wall tapestry look better? We live in WA and I love the scenery here but finding a wall tapestry of it is proving hard to do.
Here is a few pictures of my living room:
1 picture is to show the new end tables we bought(the darker ones)if that helps any.
Oh and we do not want to change the wall color as we will only be renting this home for a year or so and are too lazy to paint it and then paint it back(landlords want it white upon move out).
Thanks for any help you can give.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 5:14pm

Welcome lovemypeke!

Very nice house and I love the fireplace.

Well, IMO I think the first link would look nice on

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 6:15pm

Thank you for the warm welcome :o) I have to say that I was WOW'd by all the suggestions, thank you!
I absolutely love the mirror collages! One looks bigger than the other. Which size would look better on the long wall? Reading the comments I think the company closed. I wonder if I could find something like it.
I never thought of the photo collage on the love seat wall. You would put the shelf under it too? We have reclining seats if that makes a difference.
I'm really not into making one huge tapestry of DD. To me it might be a little much?? She is in college and might think its weird LOL
I like the scone ideas too but not as much as those collages.
This gives me a starting point, thanks!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 7:04pm

You're very welcome lovemypeke and BTW I love my old

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 9:26pm
Thank you so much for the input. I found a few different mirrors I liked. Here are the links:
http://www.touchofclass.com/product/wall+decor/wall+mirrors/beyond+perception+wall+accent.do?sortby=bestSellers#

or

http://www.touchofclass.com/product/wall+decor/wall+mirrors/reflection+of+image+mirror.do?sortby=bestSellers

They are both smaller than the mirrors that you posted. I wonder if putting 2 side by side would work? Close together or apart some? Would it look stupid in the living room?
Which one would look better with the picture hanger that I posted?
I looked for those mirrors you posted but no one had them anymore :o(
Thanks for the help.
Becky
P.s. I just love small dogs. Our Peke is almost 15 years old, he is holding his own but he is getting so needy its insane!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 4:17pm

Sure, if you want to make a big statement on that wall you could hang the collage side by side. I like the second one best as it comes with the candle cups, the first one doesn't. Just make sure your Hubby finds the wall beams to hang these on as I think they are pretty heavy. If you don't want all mirror collage hang some matching type sconces on each side of the collage. Just depends on what look you want. ;o)

Did you ever think about making your own mirror collage and find a few mirrors you like? Perhaps on eBay? Like

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 5:56pm
wow so many choices LOL Out of the 2 I posted you chose the one I liked the best. I am more of a clean lines type of person so the circular mirrors don't appeal to me. Now the asymmetrical mirrors appeal to me. Its all one piece? Would it be better to do the smaller one or the bigger one? Not too sure about the first link that has the mirrors that sort of look like bowls LOL I like it but then I don't.
The reason I like the one with the candles is because it says romance but truth be told, I don't light candles much. I just like the look. I don't know anything about sconces. Could you point me in the direction of ones that you think would go with the candle mirror?
Ugh! I have to say this is so HARD! DH only worries about the money it will cost and is not great at helping me choose. My mom is like me and knows nothing about decorating LOL I just moved to the area and haven't made friends yet.
Thank you again for helping me out. I'm sure you'd walk in here and walk back out. This whole house is like a clean slate LOL
Becky
P.s. I agree you have your hands full LOL One at a time for me. He is not as bad as the hand feeding LOL He just hates being alone and with us moving across the country recently he is not happy with us at all! He is not one for change(even though he has moved with around the world with the military). He is just very set in his ways and he will vocalize his disgust! Whining all day long! moaning when he disagrees. He has a heart murmur and it has gotten worse in the last year. He is at stage 4 of 6. So he is on meds everyday. He even insists on getting his meds before he eats breakfast LOL Only because we put it in a little piece of meat so he will eat it without fussing. Its so sad LOL
Good luck with the vet. I hope all is ok.

Edited 4/27/2010 6:00 pm ET by lovemypeke
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 10:19am

I guess DH has opinions. I showed him the links you sent yesterday and he didn't like them??? Weird!
I was also thinking of a clock so I went on a search and found theses:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Staggered-Mirror-Clock-Set/3538866/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11603046
Or this one:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/181-3857576-9533665?asin=B000JUXI9G&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B000JUXI9G&CPNG=home%20decor&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

What do you think?
I also went on a search for the sconces that would go with the candle mirror and I just don't have a knack for finding what matches.
UGH! I whined to my mom this morning LOL She said "stupid wall" LOL

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 4:53pm

Stupid big wall! LOL!

I do like the second clock link, but the first one is more art deco. I'm a artsy type

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 6:13pm
Hi Doris :o)
Yep my name is Becky :o)
Thank you again for taking the time out to help me with this. I have been all over the internet looking and asking questions of everyone. I cannot believe you found sconces to go with that mirror! I like the first sconce. So now if I do go that direction then I will have that option.
Would a canvas print be better for the living room wall than just a photo print? Would it look strange to do something like one of these: http://www.art.com/gallery/id--0/posters.htm?ui=5886E7E60EB84C6C9EB3C84AE3455BC9&searchstring=washington+state
Especially since I live in the state and see the scenery all the time? Would it look ok on the empty wall? What about panorama picture? Should it be more artsy and less picture like for the living room wall?
Would this kind of canvas look ok with the picture wall hanging that I posted earlier on the love seat side?
Nothing really popped out at me with the list of mirror art. I also didn't see anything that popped out at me with the artwork. Maybe its because I have never owned anything like that. Not even fruit pictures LOL I am not a flower person either (except the real ones I get from DH from time to time).
As far as the sofa tables and cabinets, I would love to do that but they would have to be real skinny and pretty far from the love seat as it reclines. The space between the wall and my love seat is 16 inches. If I get anything tall I would not be able to see the tv from the seat closest to the wall. The reason I don't have a coffee table is because this is our main entertaining room and also the main room where we play with the dog. We would run into the coffee table all the time. We kinda like having that middle space free.
Lots of people are saying Canvas art is the way to go. I guess I am scared of it because I haven't had anything of the sort in my home. I guess you could say we are a less is more family LOL Well really its because I never took the time to learn how to do this stuff LOL I like the idea of it but need to have the thumbs up on the right art that would look great on that wall.
I have to say I think DH is tired of me talking about this. I told him that I am trying to mature our home LOL Even college DD "had to go" today on the phone cause she is tired of me discussing it LOL Oh well, at least I have the internet and my decorator buddy's :o)
Becky
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:15pm

Hi! I didn't get a chance to read through all of the posts yet...but I'm giving my opinion! I am new to this board and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE home decor! My thoughts- would you conside moving the tv onto some type of narowish

Pages