Ceiling? QOTW ? Fans?

iVillage Member
Ceiling? QOTW ? Fans?
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 3:45pm

What's your take on ceiling fans, with or without a lights? Do you think they are feasible for your home

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 10:30am

OK, they aren't pretty. No way they ever will be pretty. But...

Each and every room in our house (except bathrooms and the basement and the laundry! LOL) have ceiling fans. With high ceilings (our living room and foyer is two stories high) they are a must as otherwise, in summer, hot air accumulates upstairs and the AC can't keep up! In winter, we reverse the direction of the spin and they drive the heat back down to the first floor.

Also, when I burn something in the kitchen (NOT an uncommon event, i fear), the fan in the kitchen seating area and the one in the four season sunroom (along with my range hood) help drive the smoky air out before the fire alarm freaks out the security company!

Essential equipment IMO!

Edited 8/4/2010 12:15 pm ET by thatyank

CL for "

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 1:18pm
I have 3 in my apartment, which I like because I'm able to use them to help keep the place cool without running the ac, but gosh they're ugly.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 3:20pm

I agree Carol,

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 3:28pm

Welcome Ladybookworm! So glad to have you jump in with us.

I like the ceiling hugger kinds too, but white to match the ceilings would be harder to keep clean. ;o) I think I would also take ugly over high electric bills any day.

They do have brushes now with long handles that make cleaning way better.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Unger-Ceiling-Fan-Duster-Brush/dp/B000E46GLO

I have one and as long as you dust every week and don't let it accumulate for a month it works pretty good!

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-09-2012 - 8:54am

Personally, I prefer ceiling fans with lights. They are more aestetically pleasing to the eyes.

Visit my website which discusses about Flush mount ceiling fans and also many other fans which may be helpful for home decoration
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 11:01am

For me, it depends on teh room --- we have fans with lights in some rooms in our house, and fans without in others..., ceiling height being the primary limiting feature. Fans with lights do tend to hang lower...

CL for "