new here...starting to plan kitchen reno

iVillage Member
new here...starting to plan kitchen reno
Thu, 01-31-2008 - 9:48pm

After living in this house for 17 years, we are FINALLY getting around to re-doing our kitchen, which has the original cabinets and built-in oven (about 44 years old!!).

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-02-2008 - 9:22am

Funny you should say that becasue *I* always plunk for the house that appeals to me most. I tend to shy away from fixers.

DH's Dad was a GC/carpenter and he hardly EVER lived in a house that was finished... shoemaker's children's shoes and all that... So you'd think he'd want to settle for a move-in-ready too, but he is the one with the grand renovation ideas. I guess it runs in his gennnes! LOL

I usually find out he's hired Tom (our contractor) to make a change when Tom shows up on the door step with Mike and Alan (his crew) in tow!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Remodel & Renovate" and CL for "Antiques and Collectibles"

Visit me at That Yank In...
and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, "Millenium Sampler", 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-02-2008 - 2:03pm

You are so lucky to have a contractor you know/like/trust!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-02-2008 - 4:49pm

Yes, you are so right. Tom is a gem. He does FINE work and takes pride in it, and all he does is renovations (no longer does high stuff - says he's getting too old, which is why he has Mike and Alan, I suppose!). And being as this is a relatively rural area with a small university town at the center, he knows EVERYONE so he never steers us wrong re plumbers, electricians, painters, etc.

Sadly, while his "company" is "xxx and sons" his sos are not in the business. His one son has gotten an advanced degree (Tom has a PhD in education, for that matter, and used to work for the Dept. of Education in Illinois until the politics got to him and he moved back here) and moved to the west coast, and the other has Down Syndrome. What is more, his wife has early-onset Alzheimer's which seems to be progressing very rapidly... Lots of bad things happening to a good man!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Remodel & Renovate" and CL for "Antiques and Collectibles"

Visit me at That Yank In...
and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, "Millenium Sampler", 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

Pages