How would you change the look of your...

iVillage Member
How would you change the look of your...
Wed, 05-07-2008 - 11:10am

How would you change the look of your kitchen without a full kitchen remodel?

• Paint - It is easy and affordable
  • Reface/refinish the kitchen cabinets
  • Change the hardware and accessories for your kitchen cabinets
  • Add a tile backsplash
  • Other (tell us about it)?

You will be able to change your vote.

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2008 - 11:16am

I voted other as we have already repainted, I don't really dislike my cabinets or my cabinet hardware, and we have replace all the appliances except the fridge and the built-in oven and microwave.

I KNOW DH is looking at brochures for countertops and I suspect that new countertops to replace teh laminate currently there is next in line for remodeling...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2008 - 1:43pm

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of re-decorating my old

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2008 - 2:50pm

First of all, no problems about hats on this board! Regulars know who you adn I are; others won't care! And neither do I, actually!

Second, once you are done, yo will be glad you started. At least I keep telling myself that as I clean up the drywall dust over and over and over... I miss my pantry...

Your new version sounds glorious! I love the blue "Provençal" painted cabinet look too!

Now as for Venetian plaster or a look-a-like. I do know that the "real thing" is a BIG job, with at least three coats and lots of sanding and all that, although the end result is gorgeous.

DIY Network has a tutorial on doing Venetian Plaster...
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lv_faux_finishing/article/0,2041,DIY_14109_2278252,00.html

as does Lowes (their's is pricier, I think):
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=HomeDecor/VenetianPlasterFaux.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHowTo

and Behr's (no price given):
http://www.behr.com/behrx/expert/activity.jsp?aid=616&subnav=interior&leftNav=noSteps

Have you heard of Bio=Shield Paints? I haven't but they do seem to be having a class on how to create a Venetian Plaster look-alike using a towel(?!?). Wonder who and where they are... and how much they cost!
http://www.bioshieldpaint.com/index.php?main_page=tip&cPath=9&tID=13

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2008 - 9:00pm

Thanks so much Carol for all the links and advice.

I am not sure if I am going to do the plaster now. Sounds like it will be way

Jr & Mommy Buttons, who is in doggie heaven now (10-16-09) rest in peace my sweet furbaby. Your son Jr & and I miss you!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2008 - 10:03pm

Well, if that brick is what I think it is, it won't be easy to get wallpaper to stick, KWIM?

But the drywall mud, that SHOULD work. At least you can fill in the "morter lines" and then maybe use a stucco paint? That might work... You could even go so far as to have some of the "plaster" flaking off, maybe at a coner revealing some bricks beneath (I've seen that look faux painted..)

Here's a faux stucco approach:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/wa_stucco/article/0,,DIY_14413_2271333,00.htm

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2008 - 12:36am

You know, you have a good point about the wallpaper. Thanks, never thought of that. I have used that strong wallpaper border paste and it does stick to anything. I do think I will get tired of the textured wallpaper........ now that I think about it more and it

My Honeybear & Zinger!