Designing your dream kitchen

iVillage Member
Designing your dream kitchen
Tue, 06-03-2008 - 12:51pm
Turn your kitchen into a favorite gathering spot with a smart floor plan, savvy design choices, and professional expertise. Here are tips to get started.

• Dream It: Find design inspiration in unexpected places

• Plan It: Determine the right layout

• Do It: Find the right professionals

appetizers

Kitchen Makeovers

Mix the styles you love

Light colors create an airy feel

Old-world beauty on a budget

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-08-2008 - 10:31am

Here's a series of videos on designing a dream kitchen:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pac_ctnt_988_leader/text/0,,DIY_26336_66417,00.html

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 10:55am

from http://www.artinstitutes.edu/fortlauderdale/press_release.asp?PressID=4309

Every time you see a new kitchen, keep asking yourself these two questions: What do I like? What do I dislike? Personal reactions, spoken or unspoken, are actually ideas in disguise. Then when you return home, write down your answers to those questions. “That breakfast area was really cozy!” What a terrific cooktop!” or “Ugh, I hated the wallpaper!” “I’d never put my wall ovens that close to where the kids would play!” And so on…

Here are some other questions that might be of help: 

Is the triangular distance from the sink to the stove to the refrigerator and back to the sink (called the work triangle) between 12 and 21 feet? 

Can you carry a boiling pot of pasta from the cook top to the sink without a kitchen island or other obstacle in your path?

If under-cabinet lights are used, are they installed on the forward edge of the upper cabinet bottoms? (This gives better task illumination and reduces glare on work surfaces)

Are storage areas directly related to activity areas? For example are pots and pans stored underneath the cook top? Are mixing bowls and baking equipment kept near the baking center? Are cookie sheets near the oven?

Have you allowed a minimum of 3 feet for clear passage throughout the kitchen? (This is particularly important if two or more people will be preparing meals at the same time.) 

Are dish and flatware storage areas close to the dishwasher for easy unloading? 

Have you allowed a minimum of 2 feet of counter space on either side of the sink, 2 feet on either side of the range, and 18 inches next to the handle side of your refrigerator? 

Are there special lights for sink, range, and food preparation areas, so that you never work in your own shadow?

Is the dining-table light on a dimmer switch so the brightness can be changed to fit the occasion? 

Can the refrigerator be opened without disrupting someone else who is preparing a meal?

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2008 - 10:07am

http://journals.aol.com/tomsmoneypit/tom-kraeutlers-home-improvement-/entries/2008/05/30/q--a-kitchen-remodel-where-to-start/2515

Kitchen Remodel: Where to start?

Way before you ever wield a sledgehammer, the best place to start is with a thorough, clear-eyed assessment of your kitchen’s current state and what features and functions you require in a remodel.

Kitchen design is a very specific art, so you’d also be wise to consult with a designer certified by the National Kitchen and Bath Association, who will have the know-how to create solutions that fit your budget as well as your lifestyle (and that includes keeping the actual remodel moving along so that you can get back to actually using your kitchen as soon as possible).

From there, what’s tackled first will depend on the extent of the remodel to which you’ve committed. Just take care not to create extra problems and expense with such whoppers as moving plumbing around and going into walls. And if your kitchen has “good bones,” capitalize on them with smart updates that make the most of your remodeling dollars.

CL for