Tips and Tricks to lower your costs

iVillage Member
Tips and Tricks to lower your costs
Sat, 06-14-2008 - 10:17am

from http://hubpages.com/hub/Tips-and-tricks-to-a-low-cost-kitchen-renovation_1

There are many simple, cheap and effective ways to add value and usability to your kitchen, That doesnt require professional help to complete, or a trust fund to finance.

1. Paint:
Changing the color is the fastest way to change your kitchen. And it doesnt just apply to walls, you can repaint or use a solid stain on your cabinets and furniture, or even give good working appliances a new lease on life with a fresh paint job or a totally new color. Appliances can go to an auto body shop where they are trained in how to give good finishes to metal or plastic and fiberglass surfaces with no streaks and drips. These days there are even ceramic paint additives that can give up to a R28 insulation value that can be mixed in with wall paint, making your kitchen warmer, more energy efficent, and some say even quieter. ( If you decide to try the new additives I reccomend you mix them in with the primer, as they can lighten the paint color.)

2 . Fixtures:
Changing lights, faucets and handles can make a huge impact on the style of your kitchen, especialy if you are stuck with really plain cabinets and walls. Shaker, ultra modern or country traditional can be brought to the cooking area just with these little touches. (Take one of the old handles and measure the openings on your faucets to have a size guide and make sure holes measure up.) Go for the higher kitchen sink faucets to make pot filling easier.

3. Professional Touches and Storage:
Everyone talks about wanting a 'Professional Chef's Kitchen" that means 2 things, easy access and open storage. Professional chefs can cook in a shoe box, and in some kitchens it looks like they do. It is about having the items you need and the tools you use nearby, not about having to add 500 sq feet of space. Wall mounted storage such as a magnet strip for knives next to the cutting area, a pot rack near the stove, or open shelving for plates and cups instead of enclosed cabinets give the feeling of a serious cook, are cheaper than adding new cabinets, easy to install and make food preparation easier. If you choose to remove some old cabinets and make room for these fixtures, do it before painting, so that you dont end up scuffing a new paint job during the removal, and have all the paint you need to make sure the color and finish are even.

4. Window Treatments:
Removing blinds and simply getting windows sqeeky clean makes a kitchen a lot brighter. Take advantage of all that sunshine and install glass shelves across your window and fill them with little pots of kitchen herbs for cooking.

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2008 - 3:05pm

Here's a

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2008 - 5:21pm

Thanks for the links, and welcome to Remodel & Renovate!

Are you doing any remodeling yourself at present? We love to hear about everyone's projects!

Sadly, the first page won't open for me (says the server isn't responding so I'll try again later) ) and the second one takes me to a generic page offering websites and other stuff...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for