What can we do with...

iVillage Member
What can we do with...
Sun, 09-28-2008 - 9:55pm

"dishwasher space"?

Unlike the garbage disposal (which did work for a while), the dishwasher was already non-functioning when we bought this house.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-28-2008 - 10:54pm

I would go with storage as well but I see what you mean about matching cabinet finishes and hardware. Hardware is a simple fix --- just change it all out. Yes, I know, hardware can be pricey but you could shop around...

But the finish is another issue.

Maybe you could do open shelves with a roll-up door (like on a roll-top desk or a garage door) for storage of small appliances. Sort of a larger appliance garage?

http://www.eclectic-ware.com/Eclectic-ware/Omega/appliance_garages/appliance_garages.html

Or you could go with this Mix-and-Match idea... which would mean changing out some other cabinet doors but... maybe the whole range under the counter would lend itself to a slightly lighter or darker stain... while the ones above could be left as is?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/realestate/newhomes/chi-choices_nh_125jan25,0,7012719.story

I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. We can brainstorm if you want!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-28-2008 - 11:40pm

Thanks for the links!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-29-2008 - 12:59am
Oh I so know where you are coming from! I am hoping we get a refund next year too, especially since the market has meant we aren't going to have any capital gains this year (more like LOTS of capital losses) ! That part is scary but the refund might make it a little less painful...

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-29-2008 - 8:53am

We'd like to start paying a little extra each month to (hopefully) shorten the length of the mortgage, but I'm wondering if we'd be better off paying that extra to DH's credit card, instead since his interest rate is about triple what our mortgage rate is =(

Of course, ideally, we'd be paying extra on everything!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-30-2008 - 2:21pm
Check out this piece on Two-tone cabinets

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-30-2008 - 7:10pm

Yes! I agree, get rid of that credit card debt, the sooner the better

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-30-2008 - 10:56pm

Oh I have one sort of like that... only it has wire baskets, where I keep my onions, potatoes, etc. (instead of a wine rack)! It fits JUST under the overhang to my island and the top comes off and functions as a carving board! It's very useful!

But I agree with you --- a dishwasher is a major selling point in a kitchen...

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-01-2008 - 10:54am
Thanks Carol!
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-01-2008 - 10:56am
Thanks for the input, Doris :o)