How much will it cost?

iVillage Member
How much will it cost?
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 6:59am
I know prices for different things vary, but about how much would it cost to put in a new kitchen? I'm talking 2 walls (10x10) of cabinets/counters plus a LARGE island.... we want to refinance, add on to our home, and redesign the kitchen. I just dont know where to start ;(
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 5:15pm

I think rule of thumb is cost of materials = cost of labor. But that, ESPECIALLY labor costs, will vary with location...

According to http://www.costhelper.com/cost/home-garden/remodel-kitchen.html
"The cost of remodeling your kitchen depends on current layout, size and condition of your room, as well as the quality of replacement products you prefer. According to an annual construction cost survey by RemodelingOnline, a minor remodel of a 200-square-foot (10x20) kitchen averages $17,037-$19.366 nationwide; a mid-range major remodel including an island and other upgrades runs $50,860-$59,716; and an upscale remodel for the same size kitchen can be $103,529-$115,549." Not that the prices quoted are averages across the nation... These are averages; actual costs may be higher or lower.

My recommendation ask around, window-shop the big box stores so you have an idea of what materials, styles you want to use,, and see what a local kitchen contractor says...

CL for