Kitchen sink bowl size?

iVillage Member
Kitchen sink bowl size?
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 1:15pm

We are upgrading our kitchen sink (never buy a porcelain kitchen sink!) and am wondering about which bowl size to get. I want one to be bigger than the other....but am not sure how small to go on one side.

There are 2 variations...one has the smaller side that is 9 inches wide on one side and about 20 on the other. The other has 12 inches on one side and about 17 on the other. For those of you who have the smaller 9 inch side....how do you use it? For rinsed dishes you've hand washed? Only for scraping dishes into the disposal (which we don't have)? Do you like the very small side? It does make for a pretty big side on the other, but is 9 inches wide big enough for much?

Dee

Dee -- Homeschooling mom of 6 -- Forty-four and praying for 1 more!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 7:03pm

For me, 9" isn't wide enough to be useful at all. You can't put anything in it flat except cups and tableware...

We have one that is 15" on the left (non-disposal side) and 12" on the right (disposal side)... DH picked it out! Personally, I find even this unsatisfactory as, when I hand wash dishes, I like to use one side as wash and one as rinse. And I would have liked to wash on the disposal side so any food particles go into the disposal, NOT into the drain... The 12" will not accommodate my good dinner dishes flat, or any of my frying pans, soup pans, etc. So to hand wash and rinse, I have to use the non-disposal side, keep the sink stopper out, leave the water running and try to swish the larger object under the running water. Wasteful of water, IMO... and creates a pain trying to scoop food particles out of the sink into the disposal side.

Sadly, our counter wouldn't accommodate a larger sink so I guess I'm stuck with unequal sides, but I would have preferred equal sides.

And I agree about porcelain --- this one is and we have replaced the drain cover in the narrow side twice as the porcelain flakes off within a year. DH picked it out, as I said, and replaced my stainless sink without asking me! ARRRGH! But even he now admits it was a mistake!

Edited 3/25/2010 12:25 am ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 11:37pm

Yeah, I thought the 9 inch side wouldn't be big enough....but when you get the 9 inch side, then the other side is plenty big enough for all my cookie sheets and roaster to go flat.

With the 12 inch small side.....you get a little bit bigger side to put rinsed dishes, but the big side isn't big enough for a cookie sheet or really big pot.

I would mainly be using the small side for just drying rinsed dishes on a small rack. I don't have a disposal, so that's a moot point.

But it doesn't seem like a lot would fit to dry in a 9 inch space. But.....that really big side would be nice. Ugh!!!

Can't decide!!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 12:27am

I bought a drying rack with a tray which sits beside the sink --- suits me.

But you are right: cookie sheets, broiler pans and large roasters don't fit in my 15" side either...

When we lived in our CA house, we had a three part sink --- that was ideal, IMO. The center piece was very narrow and had a cutting board that fit over it. It connected to the disposal and was perfect for peeling veg, etc. I really liked that sink! But from what I can see, these days, that means two 8" and one 3" sinks. Even less useful... I'm sure the one we had was larger than that: during the water-rationing drought back in the 70s, I was able to put a plastic dishpan in one side to wash dishes in and I don't think that would have worked in an '8" side!

Edited 3/25/2010 12:39 am ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 10:21am

So what size is your smaller sink if you have a drying rack next to it?

Dee